Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting LoTW Data  (Read 11597 times)
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »

Good news:

Dec 31, 2012: LoTW Update --
The new LoTW hardware has been delivered and is in the process of being configured and tested. We hope to have it up and running within a few weeks. In the meantime, please do not upload your log more than once. This only causes more processing delays.

The LoTW Team

Normally I would optimistic and reply with something like "That's great!!", however in this case, all I can say is "It's about time!!!". This should have been done months ago as there have been signs that LOTW was having issues for quite sometime. Hopefully they will be able to get it installed before the queue becomes more of a monster than it already is now Smiley

John K7KB
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »

Good news:

The new LoTW hardware has been delivered and is in the process of being configured and tested. We hope to have it up and running within a few weeks. In the meantime, please do not upload your log more than once. This only causes more processing delays.

The LoTW Team

anyone know how many persons make up the LoTW team?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Good news:

The LoTW Team

Normally I would optimistic and reply with something like "That's great!!", however in this case, all I can say is "It's about time!!!". This should have been done months ago as there have been signs that LOTW was having issues for quite sometime. Hopefully they will be able to get it installed before the queue becomes more of a monster than it already is now Smiley

It took this long because the staffing assigned to LotW development and maintenance is a fraction of one person, and the majority of that person's scarce "LotW time" as been focused on adding functionality (e.g. WPX support) -- which by attracting even more users made the situation even worse. Software Engineering is just like farming: you reap what you sow.

Dave, AA6YQ

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »

Good news:

The LoTW Team

It took this long because the staffing assigned to LotW development and maintenance is a fraction of one person, and the majority of that person's scarce "LotW time" as been focused on adding functionality (e.g. WPX support) -- which by attracting even more users made the situation even worse. Software Engineering is just like farming: you reap what you sow.

Dave, AA6YQ

An apology from the ARRL leaders who had the power to be more proactive in allocating labor and resources for LoTW upkeep and maintenance -- and an assurance that they have learned from this -- would be a nice signal.

btw, thanks for being the guy who was willing to work on putting out the fire!  LoTW users the world over will definitely apppreciate it when the bottleneck disappears.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »

Good news:

The LoTW Team

Dave, AA6YQ

An apology from the ARRL leaders who had the power to be more proactive in allocating labor and resources for LoTW upkeep and maintenance -- and an assurance that they have learned from this -- would be a nice signal.

btw, thanks for being the guy who was willing to work on putting out the fire!  LoTW users the world over will definitely apppreciate it when the bottleneck disappears.

I had nothing to do with identifying the throughput bottleneck, suggesting corrective action, or convincing ARRL management to allocate the required funds. My understanding is that Mike K1MK (ARRL IT manager, LotW development manager, LotW developer, LotW tester, LotW maintainer) did all of that. Mike is also the guy who last month found and fixed the nasty defect that was discarding uploaded batches of QSOs since the day LotW first went into operation; this happened when more than 32767 batches of QSOs were waiting in the queue to be processed.

Dave, AA6YQ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »

Oops. Somebody had the great idea to use a signed short. I'm glad I never do dumb things like that.  Roll Eyes
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »

I had nothing to do with identifying the throughput bottleneck, suggesting corrective action, or convincing ARRL management to allocate the required funds. My understanding is that Mike K1MK (ARRL IT manager, LotW development manager, LotW developer, LotW tester, LotW maintainer) did all of that. Mike is also the guy who last month found and fixed the nasty defect that was discarding uploaded batches of QSOs since the day LotW first went into operation; this happened when more than 32767 batches of QSOs were waiting in the queue to be processed.

Dave, AA6YQ

well thanks to K1MK then and thank you for stepping up to work on some of the LoTW usability issues
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »

I would not hold my breath while waiting for that one. Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »

I would not hold my breath while waiting for that one. Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y

Cheesy i was actually going to add ^that^ very disclaimer, but figured it sort of sabotages the point  Cheesy
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »

looks like it is back up again; hopefully for good
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »

"466,025,908 QSO records have been entered into the system. "

Somethings gotta give i.e. "She's Gonna Blow"

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up