Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAIN GUTTER ANTENNA  (Read 4321 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:23:46 AM »

Gerald, after looking at yout QTH on QRZ, it looks like you have a small back yard.  How about a ground mounted vertical or a ground mounted screwdriver?

The above statement is the best suggestion so far in this thread.

Why mess with an outdoor tuner for the gutters when you can buy a Hustler 4BTV cheaper than you can buy the tuner?

Put 24 radials down and you are good to go and your feet will never leave the ground. You can add 12 and 17 meters to the 4BTV to give you 10,12,15,17,20 & 40 meter coverage.

For the price, $124.95 plus shipping you have a new antenna. Or look around for a used one. But I would just buy the new one for $125, R&L Electronics has it at that price. I had a beam shipped to IN for $22 via UPS from R&L so the shipping would not be much more to ship that 4BTV to Chicago.

If you have a wood fence around your back yard you can always run a wire along it. I know a guy who has his G5RV running along the top of his 7 foot wooden fence. He works DX on CW and JT65 and other digital modes with 100 watts or less.

There are better alternatives than loading up those rain gutters.
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:12 AM »

Give it a go.

Katashi Nose KH6IJ did, if I remember correctly. Was in QST 40 / 45 years ago.
N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:37:29 AM »

My suggestion would be to do some research on the web. There are many articles and web pages devoted to small and stealth antennas. I have found that the more research and effort that I put into an antenna project, the better it performs. Plus I get the added advantage of learning about different antennas and how they work. You actually have many options that you could install, and many at very little cost. Do the research, make a decision, install something and have fun.
Larry
n0sa
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »

my first antenna was a fan dipole laying flat on the roof, not the best, but it made contacts.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: