Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recalling Letters of Callsign I Just Sent?  (Read 394 times)
N9GXA

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

Is this a good thing or bad:

I've been back on CW for the past five months. I really enjoy it. I would guess I am comfortable around 13 WPM and maybe upto 15 WPM on a good day. Lately, in the middle of a QSO, I am noticing that after I send the other op's callsign and then mine, I can't recall the exact letters I sent of their callsign (wanting to confirm to myself that I didn't screw it up)!

I haven't been corrected so assume I sent the correct letters, but they may just be letting it slide and will listen closer the next time. But so am I by that time. Or maybe they weren't listening that close, either.

I am hoping that I am subconsciously getting to the point where a letter I am wanting to send is automatically transformed into finger movements on the paddles (sort of bypassing the brain) while I am consciously thinking of what I am about to send back. Or am I just not paying attention? - Meaning my grade school teacher was right about me all along...

TNX - 73 - Paul - N9GXA
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »

> I am hoping that I am subconsciously getting to the
> point where a letter I am wanting to send is
> automatically transformed into finger movements on the
> paddles (sort of bypassing the brain) while I am
> consciously thinking of what I am about to send back.
> Or am I just not paying attention?

Not "or", it's "and". You are subconsciously sending the callsign without paying attention to what you do. And that is exactly the right way to do it.

I noticed the same when I moved from Dresden to Munich lately. The phrase "QTH Dresden" was so much hard-coded into my brain (or fingers) that I would send it automatically whenever I started with "QTH" and it took a little while before I would intuitively send "Munich" instead of "Dresden". Good thing both start with a "dah", so sometimes I could correct myself before it was too late!

This can even go further. I am practicing a little with programs like RufzXP, CW Freak and MorseRunner to keep my speed up. When I am not fully concentrating on what I am doing, it sometimes happens that I subconsciously enter a whole call, think "that was a completely busted one!", and it turns out to be correctly copied. To make things even worse, I sometimes have trouble copying a single letter (like S vs. H), and my left hand types a S, my right hand types a H, at the same time!

Copying telegraphy is a process which slides down a few layers of consciousness from initial learning and it's fun to observe this process on your own self.

73, Fabian

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 02:30:26 PM »

I don't know if this info helps or not, but I dug up an old relic "typewriter" to use in normal QSOs.

I'm still a while from head copy, so I have to record it some way.

It seems easier to me for plain QSOs--obviously not for contests.

I don't have to boot up, worry about mouse clicking on the wrong window, typing in the wrong cell, or saving files.

But I have to remember to "carriage return;" no text wrapping!

It's there on the paper, permanently, with no complications...assuming I copy it correctly, that is!!

Tschüss, drei und siebsich.

N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »

Tnx for the replies. I did it again today, but it didn't bother me as much. Tnx again.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:50:50 AM »

IMHO the worst thing you can do, when sending or receiving CW, is to start obsessing "gees did I do that right two or three letters ago" because it's too late. You have to be thinking about the now and being ready for the future, not what's in the past.

I do appreciate your difficulty, especially when receiving "exact copy" (as opposed to just listening to a QSO and jotting down notes) I sometimes get caught up with correcting the past myself. Then boom, whatever was accumulating in my head disappears and I have to re-sync and move on from there, often missing whole words at 40WPM+.

That doesn't mean you can't accumulate in your head. Just that after it gets "copied" then it's time move forward, not backwards. I think the backspace key on computer keyboards (as opposed to no backspace key on a real typewriter) may contribute to the problem because we are always going back and correcting ourselves while typing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: