Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You.  (Read 416 times)
WA0RAO

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »

After over 30 years off the air I drug out my old Swan 350 during the Thanksgiving holiday. I was completely out of touch with Ham Radio and CW. I suffered thru CW to get my General license in the 60's and ran for phone ASAP.

After some computer based morse retraining I started making some CW contacts.  Given my rusty skills and sloppy fist I expected some not so subtle criticism.  Instead I've found encouragement and patience.  What a pleasant surprise! Thank you.

I'm really enjoying the challenge cw presents.  It gets a little easier each day and the attitude of the ops I've contacted has really made it enjoyable. What a great way to come back to the ham world!
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »

I have a good idea of what you mean. I've been off for a few years. Received my license over 20 years ago. Promptly forgot CW for phone/packet. NOW I want to learn CW. It's been great. Like you know, ops have been very nice. They have to have a difficult time trying to make it through a QSO with me. Good stuff!
NG9Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »

I also agree, I got back to ham radio a year and a half ago and started beefing up on my CW skills.  Previously I only used phone.  But I recently retired and had some time on my hands so figured I'd try CW again (I hated it before).  Well now it's my favorite mode.  The other CW ops are great, very kind and helpful.

I guess what I like best about CW is that it is a skill you have to learn, can't buy it.  Doesn't take money, just practice.  And there is no upper limit on the skill, the more you use it, the better you become at it.

See you on the air,

Bernie
NG9Z
WU1E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

CW ops are definitely good people. Very happy to be moving away from phone and doing more CW. Speaking of good people, there are many good ones here in this forum. Paul N9GXA has been very gracious in working some CW scheds with me which has helped IMMENSELY! Thank You !! Really takes the pressure off to hammer out a QSO with friends who you know are working to improve their skills also!
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »

Thanks Chris. Same to you! It is nice to practice with a friend. I still make many mistakes, but the code seems to come easier now than before. I look forward to the next QSO.

It seems the CW op doesn't forget what it's like to start out. Chris and all others have a lot of patience with me. That just makes it easier to practice on the next poor soul who comes along. I hope something in the future doesn't change what we have today. At least not negatively. In the past, I don't think I ever had anything against someone else using morse code, but now I know what I was missing then.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: