Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF Rig, budget reccomendations?  (Read 4579 times)
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 01:54:55 AM »

try hro or aes for used equipment they have taken in for trade. they check them out and will warrenty them to you. stay away from ebay unless you know who you are dealing with. ck on e ham classified.
a rig like the ft 840 or ft 890 are good starters
i knew a fellow that got such a deal on a used 140, until he found out it only put out 10 watts, and needed 300.00 worth of repairs

jim w4rs du3/w4rs
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 05:37:18 AM »

FT-890 were known to pop finals. Serous problems with a 140 are rare.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »

Michael,
I concur with  what VA7CPC said. If you buy a newer rig say an Icom 718, it will most likely serve you well for a time. Then you will want to upgrade
and will recover half or more back from the 718 rig. The older rigs were great in their day but for a new amateur not a good deal as no parts are available for many so you could end up with a very heavy paperweight. I would suggest spending about 650 for the rig and power supply. I also think the 718 would be simple to operate and be a good investment as it is a good value for the money. Don't buy a 440 Kenwood, as they often develop display problems. They are great other than that, as I owned one for many years.

Frank
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: