Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Home Brew Paddles  (Read 1703 times)
NJ3U

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »

I was browsing EBay and found this listing, at first I didn't figure out what it was!

Good idea from the builder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-paddle-double-lever-telegraph-key-/160941772029?pt=US_Code_Keyers_Keys&hash=item2578e08cfd
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

Back-to-back J-38's is an old idea.  It was written-up in QST, July 1952.  [Thanks, Google.]

According to what I've read, they work pretty well. 

.        Charles

PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

Hi everybody

My son has a Japanese remake of a J-38 it was 10 euro new.
and we put a nice small wooden closet knob instead of the plastic knob with sharp edges.
This little key has a nice piece of wood underneath  and works very fine.
I thought it would be a major dissapointment such a small and cheap key, but in operation it isn't bad at all.
Because of the handy little wooden knob I prefer it above our Junker or Chech army key.

Look at the website of PA4NIC he has build a few nice homebrew paddles they look good nd work good.
I build my own paddles to , but as I have quite a bit of machinery at hand I wouldn't try to build these.

And indeed these 2 back to back J38 are a proven recepie for a long time now.

73 Jos
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:53:03 PM »

I've never used anything close to a keyer other than my Vibroplex bug...which I hate.  Don't like the sound or the weighting.  I've pretty much always been a straight-key guy...almost 25 years with my Nye-Viking SpeedX.  Recently, I also whipped up a set of homebrew paddles to use the Iambic keyer in my CRK-10.  I actually made it out of paperclips, a stand-off post for ground, and a Radio Shack circuit board.  And it works GREAT.  It'll NEVER EVER replace a good manufactured set of paddles, but in the few days I've been using them, I have come to LOVE sending with Iambics.

KB2HSH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: