Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Entity?????  (Read 2331 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »

I dont think so.  Roll Eyes

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-names-slice-antarctica-queen-elizabeth-land-160049837.html

73, Gene AF3Y
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »

No, according to the current version of the rules!

Quote from: ARRL
b) The Antarctic Treaty, signed on December 1, 1959 and entered into force on June 23, 1961, establishes the legal framework for the management of Antarctica. The treaty covers, as stated in Article 6, all land and ice shelves below 60 degrees South. This area is known as the Antarctic Treaty Zone. Article 4 establishes that parties to the treaty will not recognize, dispute, or establish territorial claims and that they will assert no new claims while the treaty is in force. Under Article 10, the treaty States will discourage activities by any country in Antarctica that are contrary to the terms of the treaty. In view of these Treaty provisions, no new entities below 60 degrees south will be added to the DXCC List as long as the Treaty remains in force.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »

Troll Island?
K5GS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »

Several years ago I wondered why the Balleny Islands didn't count for DXCC.  Clearly, they meet the distance from New Zealand requirement.

The first answer I received was nonsense - they don't count because they're surrounded by ice year round. Well, I know that wasn't true because I've sailed around the Balleny Islands twice while serving on weather ships in the Southern Ocean.

The real answer is exactly what is posted above re: no new entities below 60 South as long as the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 is in force.

You can see a photo I took of the Balleny's on Dec. 26, 1965 at:

http://www.aspen-ridge.net/Shipmates/USS_Calcaterra/DER_390_Photos_1/DER_390_Photos_6/BallenyIsl.jpg

73 and Happy Holidays,
Gene K5GS
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »

IOTA AN-019, Balleny Islands - never before activated !

Thanks for showing the pic, Gene. Looks a "nice" place :-O

Col, MM0NDX
http://dx-world.net/
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

Based on this rule, can someone explain why Peter Island, South Shetland Islands, and South Orkney Islands are entities? Yet Balleny Islands are not on the DXCC list? All are below 60 South. I'm assuming that they were grandfathered in before this rule was instituted (anybody know when the rules was created?). S. Shetland and S. Orkney were on the original DXCC list, but I'm not sure when Peter Island was added.

It is of interest that 8 of the Clublog 50 most wanted entities (and 3 of the top 6 - South Sandwich, Heard Is., and Bouvet) are below 50 South.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have developed quite an interest in DXCC history. Is there any place I can find a running history of DXCC entities, rules, etc.?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:37:51 PM by N7SMI » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »

I'm assuming that they were grandfathered in before this rule was instituted (anybody know when the rules was created?).

Not to hijack this thread, but I have developed quite an interest in DXCC history. Is there any place I can find a running history of DXCC entities, rules, etc.?

There was a big re-org of the DXCC rules in either 1999 or 2000, and many entities were "grandfathered in". There have been some entities that are "dubious" - where the rules were changed that then allowed an entity to get on the list - but the 1999 / 2000 re-org was supposed to fix that issue. It did - sort of. I say that because there are some that were controversial even after the rules change. Swains was one of them. I only started DX-ing in 2001 - so I have been just going along for the ride and listening to the old timers tell their opinions and stories . . . Scarborough Reef was another controversial one . . . Kingman Reef is in a total limbo state - threatened to be deleted for 12 years - and so no one will activate it - plus its now under water at high tide . . . .

I actually wish the minutes of all past DXAC proceedings were published somewhere . . .

You might check my blog on DXCC entity history:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/

I have not found a running history of all of the rules changes or details of why one entity is on the list and another not. I have received lots of emails from past DXAC members who agreed or disagreed with entities on the list - and all I can say is - their arguments one way or another are verrrry interesting.

I have been invited to go over the old notebooks of W6CF - so maybe I can find out more of the details . . . .

Bottom line - its a very colorful history - and whether or not I agree with all entities on the list I am a loyal ARRL and DXCC particpant who will go along with the rules the way they are written. Sort of like playing Scrabble. Moops is NOT a word!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:27:39 PM by KY6R » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

I actually wish the minutes of all past DXAC proceedings were published somewhere . . .

Or even just the official actions and rules changes. I can't even find, for example, when the Antarctica rule was created. Certainly there has to be documentation somewhere of such things.

You might check my blog on DXCC entity history:

http://dxccsleuth.wordpress.com/

I think I've read them all multiple times. Your blog is one of the things that sparked my interest on this topic.

Bottom line - its a very colorful history - and whether or not I agree with all entities on the list I am a loyal ARRL and DXCC particpant who will go along with the rules the way they are written. Sort of like playing Scrabble. Moops is NOT a word!

Indeed. For me, chasing DX is only half the fun. Understanding why they are DX, how they fit into the history of DXing, and playing along with the game of DXCC history and rules changes is a lot of what makes this hobby so interesting and challenging. I'm very new to DXing and find the politics, history, and folklore of it all absolutely fascinating.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

Indeed. For me, chasing DX is only half the fun. Understanding why they are DX, how they fit into the history of DXing, and playing along with the game of DXCC history and rules changes is a lot of what makes this hobby so interesting and challenging. I'm very new to DXing and find the politics, history, and folklore of it all absolutely fascinating.

I agree. The funny thing is - when I approached the League and the DXAC members and whatnot - no one seemed to know where a central store of this history and information exists. There are a few web sites where they have a collection of QSL cards - and those are really superb, but no down and dirty details.

I can't tell you how many old time DX-ers came out of the wood work and shared their opinions and even stories - some pretty "salty". About the best tip I have received is to go check out the W6CF notebooks at the California Historical Radio Societies museum in Berkeley, CA - just over the hill from where I live.

And that is what I intend to do - soon. . . . .

Other than that - its just history in the aging old timers memory . . . .
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »

Is there any place I can find a running history of DXCC entities, rules, etc.?

Check libraries.  Some may have a collection of QST and/or CQ from way back.  I was fortunate to have found this very thing, in my case both publications, at my university library during my college years.  I spent many hot summer afternoons, in air conditioned comfort, perusing DXCC history from way back when up to what was current at the time.  (Just a few years have gone by since then.....)  I think all this may be available on CD now, too, if you're willing to part with a few $.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

Is there any place I can find a running history of DXCC entities, rules, etc.?

Check libraries.  Some may have a collection of QST and/or CQ from way back.  I was fortunate to have found this very thing, in my case both publications, at my university library during my college years.  I spent many hot summer afternoons, in air conditioned comfort, perusing DXCC history from way back when up to what was current at the time.  (Just a few years have gone by since then.....)  I think all this may be available on CD now, too, if you're willing to part with a few $.

I'm an ARRL lifetime member and can access all of this online. Its great. I use this as part of my research - but have found it kind of touch and go. Sometimes you hit a gold mine - sometimes nothing.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »

About the best tip I have received is to go check out the W6CF notebooks at the California Historical Radio Societies museum in Berkeley, CA - just over the hill from where I live.

I've learned a lot going through old copies of the Northern California DX Club newsletters at http://www.ncdxc.org/newsletter/ They date back to 1948. The cover illustrations and cartoons alone are worth a couple hours of perusing. You can search them with Google at https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.ncdxc.org%2Fnewsletter%2F

There are many entries and notes from W6CF (older calls of W6CUF or K6AQ) dating back to the early 60s.

As insightful as these newsletters are into ham radio and DX history, it's incredible how little things have changed.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »

About the best tip I have received is to go check out the W6CF notebooks at the California Historical Radio Societies museum in Berkeley, CA - just over the hill from where I live.

I've learned a lot going through old copies of the Northern California DX Club newsletters at http://www.ncdxc.org/newsletter/ They date back to 1948. The cover illustrations and cartoons alone are worth a couple hours of perusing. You can search them with Google at https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.ncdxc.org%2Fnewsletter%2F

There are many entries and notes from W6CF (older calls of W6CUF or K6AQ) dating back to the early 60s.

As insightful as these newsletters are into ham radio and DX history, it's incredible how little things have changed.

Maybe I should turn the DXCC Sleuth Blog more into a Wikipedia? I created a new thread about this idea - sparked by your post!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: