Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Argonaut VI  (Read 18672 times)
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »

The KX3 is the same price as the Argo6 when factory assembled.  But you can save $100 if you assemble it yourself.  Very easy (no soldering).  Took me 2.5 hours to build.

Phil - AD5X

No soldering?  What fun is that?  Tongue
You're right though.  Considering all the features of the KX3, you'd think Ten-Tec would have put out a similar receiver.  Given what the Argo 6 has, I think $600 should be the top price.  I'll pass.  For $1149, they have a used Jupiter with auto tuner.  I know it's not a QRP rig, but just saying it's a feature packed rig for an extra $200.
I like that KX3.  Is it made in USA?

Eric
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

I like that KX3.  Is it made in USA?

Eric
Hi Eric,
Google Elecraft and have a happy holiday dreaming of K1, K2, KX1, K3, P3, KPA-500, KX3 and more  Cheesy
Disclaimer: I do not work for Elecraft or even own any of their rigs.

I hesitated between the K3 and the Ten-Tec Eagle and went for the later.

Regarding the Argo VII: it is a crippled Eaglet, too bad  Cry

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

For $620 (http://cart.flexradio.com/FLEX-1500_p_10.html) you could get a Flex-1500 which includes a panadapter and then get a new laptop for $320 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Satin+Black/6978457.p?id=1218818470335&skuId=6978457) and have a complete portable SDR station.
The Flex-1500 is only 5 watts PEP though. But you get 160-6M with no gaps and never have to buy any filters or a special sound card cable.

Zack
N8FNR
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

To N8FNR......
    Zack thank you very much for that information...I found it tempting to consider that combination as a possible back-up station and may do so in 2013.. All I ever use is 5 watts or less. Thus, its the "norm" for me and not a problem.
    Again, thanks for the info.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »

You are welcome Don.

I have the Flex-5000A and love it. Here is my eham review if you are interested (http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/80800). One of the very cool things about Flex radios is that you get significant software updates several times a year. Another very nice feature is the tracking notch filter. Take a look at this to see how it works (http://www.flexradio.com/tnf.aspx).

Last of all, having variable, non-ringing filters that are built into the software and can be narrowed down to less than 25hz is way beyond cool! Name another rig that can do this.

Take a look at the Sherwood data on the Flex-1500 (http://www.sherweng.com/table.html). This rig is number 13 on the list.

Some people complain about these rigs not having knobs. To tell you the truth I have never missed having them at all!

Zack
N8FNR
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 04:23:50 AM »

can be narrowed down to less than 25hz is way beyond cool! Name another rig that can do this.

Actually not even Flex can do it unless there's been some improvement with recent versions of PSDR. Achieving the narrowest selectivity requires degrading the buffer and sampling settings and even then about the sharpest I get on my 5000 is around 90 Hz with a pretty powerful computer. For most CW, that's actually too narrow. True, there's no ringing; the Flex filters are extraordinary.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 02:41:44 AM »

If I can sell my 2 year old, non-mobile  FT-857D and LDG meter this Spring, I will "spring" for the extra bucks required for the Argonaut. One last purchase for this old guy.

73 Dick
F8WBD/N2UGB
Always monitoring 14.060 +/-
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 06:14:28 AM »

The Argonaut does not seem to be CW friendly. To change the keyer speed one must go into the menu then exit.

The KX-3 has a dedicated CW speed knob. The KX-3 has the APF feature which will pull a CW signal out from below the noise level and the AFX feature can't be beat for copying CW.

The Argonaut is in the running with the FT-817ND and not the KX-3.

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

For $620 (http://cart.flexradio.com/FLEX-1500_p_10.html) you could get a Flex-1500 which includes a panadapter and then get a new laptop for $320 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Satin+Black/6978457.p?id=1218818470335&skuId=6978457) and have a complete portable SDR station.
The Flex-1500 is only 5 watts PEP though. But you get 160-6M with no gaps and never have to buy any filters or a special sound card cable.

Zack
N8FNR

Wouldn't an outboard soundcard also be required?

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:32:56 PM by AE5X » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »

The Flex 1500 doesn't use a sound card. It connects directly to the USB port on the computer.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:13 AM »

The Flex 1500 doesn't use a sound card. It connects directly to the USB port on the computer.

Good to know - tnx!
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »

WX7G, did you read the manual?  No menus.  flip the mode button down to the bottom and
punch MOD and use the main tune dial to select the speed, punch mod to lock it and your done.
Looked it up int he manual that is downloadable.

I have a 6n2 [M526], I got it because there are no menus.  I've used a FT817N and the menus
and multiple buttons are horrific enough there are cheat sheets for it.  I really meant to get a
ArgoV.

I've played a little with the KX3 and its a menu driven radio too but less cryptic and with a
better assortment of buttons to make it more intuitive.

Flex is out of consideration.  First you need a good computer or its crap.  The other is if
the computer burps (it runs winders so that's a foregone condition) your radio craps.
when you add the price of a decent computer and the flex your in the same bracket.  If
you are portable that means you need to support two sets of batteries as well.

Also the technology of the filters in the flex are in the KX3 and the Argo as all are DSP radios
and the only change is IF dsp or IQ to baseband DSP.

Each one is a trade off as I see it and properly done all are in the $1K and up space
(even a817 with some decent filters and other adds) so the price is not what some make
of it.

The only other player I see is the K2 and by time you add all the bots for SSB and all its
in the same price space. However it is a good radio.

Even the KX3 you have to buy a mic so what the big deal there against the Argo.
for the Flex I'd assume you'd use a decent headset boom mic at least, also not free.

The only items that stands out and its something I lump in the personal preference is the
lack of 60M and 12M. In my case its don't care for either. 

As to the lack of 6m in my case if I want 6M I have 6 HB radios and my 526 to pick from. 
Besides how many really use 6M and have a decent enough antenna?  MY experience is
most have grossly inadequate antennas for 6 so they try once and at low power can barely
be heard 10 miles away and give up.  whats a decent antenna on 6 well at 5-10W at least
a tuned dipole up high or a moxon and you would do well to have a 3 element yagi or more.
 I read that comparing on missing bands is mostly pointless unless you plan to use it.

The am filter thing to me makes sense as you need the wider filter to send good am (from a
Superhet transmitter) and you need it to hear AM decently.   How many here even use AM??

The only ones I'm not looking at are the Flex and 817.  The KX3 loaded is about $1320 and the
Argo with mic and am filter is about $1200 and the K2 is right around $1100.  Once you put
down the first thousand a few dollars more is less a jump.  So price to me is mostly red herring.
It comes down to how the units perfrom  after a few months in user hands and the K2 is 
well known, the KX3 is still teething some and the ArgoVI is new but has the Argo V and Eagle
as prior experience for Tentec.  that and I'm menu adverse.

Allison
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »

I've always been a TT fan, but the Elecraft KX3 wamps the new Argonaut, IMHO

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »

Allison, yes I read the Argonaut VI manual and that how I know that the "menu" needs to be invoked to change the CW speed. Yes pressing several buttons to change the CW speed is a "menu."

As you say "flip the mode button down to the bottom and punch MOD and use the main tune dial to select the speed, punch mod to lock it and your [sic] done."

How incredibly awkward, especially if you're contesting.

With the KX3 you simply turn the CW speed control.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:21:38 PM by WX7G » Logged
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »

From the Argonaut VI manual:

"Internal Keyer CW Speed Setting
Ensure that the bandwidth control is pointing
to 12 o'clock. Switch the TMB switch to the
bottom and press the USR (MOD) button
until the screen displays (SPEEd). Use the
VFO knob to adjust the speed 5-50 words per
minute. Press this button a second time to set
your desired speed into the internal keyer."

Changing CW speed only takes 6 steps:
1. Turn BW to 12 o'clock
2. Switch TMB switch
3.Press USR (MOD) button
4. Turn VFO knob
5. Press USR (MOD) button
6. Turn BW to the position it was originally in

What was Ten Tec thinking when they came up with this?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: