Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Argonaut VI  (Read 18655 times)
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »

To WX7G.....
I did a ton of comparisons by viewing the on-line manuals of the Ten Tec Argonaut VI and the Elecraft KX-3; plus reading all the posts here pertaining to the two rigs....
I finally decided on the KX-3 with the roofing filters and placed my order with April at Elecraft yesterday.
Thanks to everyone who sincerely gave their thoughts and impressions on these 2 radios.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --

KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 06:16:58 AM »

WX7G,

Its a less intuitive feature but they were obviously trying to get the fewest knobs and no nested menus. 

Still a whole lot better than the 817. 

If I were running a contest in CW [something I'm not fond of] I'd be running an external
memory keyer so I don't have to paddle out everything.  For that the only winner is
the KX3 as it has a memory for the keyer.

Then again don't buy it.  Saves you a lot of grief.

If I'm contesting with a radio I still think the K2 is a good choice.  That I know from 2012
W1IS QRP Field day experience. All of the radios were K2s.  All of us at field day would
have liked to try a KX3, plenty on order but none to be had.  The VHF part of that field day effort was my TT 6n2 which  I've used to do a lot of VHF contesting with.

If there was any one thing that stands out is for 1000-1300 dollars there are a few choices
at all mode QRP but for 5-600 more there are a lot of choices and 100w is you want/need it.

Allison
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »

Let's look at the Alinco Argonaut VI (yes let's pretend it comes from Alinco and not Ten Tec). And let's pretend the price is $500.

How would this new radio be viewed? I think it would be viewed as an OK radio for $500 with hit and miss specs and a poor interface. At $995 it would be laughed at and Alinco would not sell one. But place the Ten Tec logo on it and folks overlook its short comings.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:57:18 PM by WX7G » Logged
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »

To WX7G.......
    Oh MERCY!! An Alinco Argonaut VI.......YOU ABSOLUTELY HIT IT HEAD-ON WITH YOUR POSTING!! SCAREY!! BUT SINCERELY TRUTHFUL!! DEAD-ON!!
 I always look forward to reading your postings here. Thanks.
Have a HEALTHY, HAPPY, and SAFE New Year.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --
N0SA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05:21 AM »

I totally agree with WX7G, he makes a great point.
I have nothing against Ten Tec they are a good company.
Although I am beginning to wonder for how long.
I also believe in buying American made products.
But my first reaction when I saw this radio was "REALLY!!!!".
For $995 I think it is a bad joke.
Larry
n0sa
Radios I now own.
K3
KX3
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »

So far the comments have been interesting.  Certainly the radio has to be a good fit with the user and suit their needs.  I have a K1 which is crippled by having only 4 bands and no SSB.  However it is a great piece of work and meets my needs.

I do own TenTec products and the one thing I really like about them is the fact that you can try one of their products in your home and compare it to what you are using.  If it doesn't meet your needs then send it back and all you pay is the postage.

I would sure like to try the KX3 and see how it compares to my Orion2 but I don't see this happening until someone in the area has one since they don't offer trials of their equipment.  I value other users reports but need to personally try it.

To me I look more at size and what I am going to use the radio for assuming that they both listen the same.  The KX3 definitely has the advantage here.  The argonaut is larger and would probably need an external tuner.  If I am going to take that much bulk, I may as well take my ICOM 7200. 
Art, N9AOP
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »

The factory assembled KX3 can be returned within 30 days for a refund minus a restocking fee.

http://www.elecraft.com/Elecraft%20Return%20Policy.htm

A friend of mine bought a KX3 and we have discussed it at length. Performance-wise it appears to be a K3 in a smaller box. 
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »

Thanks WX7G, I did not know that.  Guess I should have looked at all their documentation.  Anyway that will simplify being able to try one out.  If it is as good as everyone says, I won't be sending it back.
Art
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: