Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about Hallicrafters s-53A  (Read 2391 times)
KE7RTV

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

Hello,

My Hallicrafters s-53A  powers up ok. The volume is loud with very little hum. It receives  the
AM band pretty well but the audio on the shortwave is garbled and difficult to understand. I've
heard some CW on the lower portion of 40 meters but nothing on any of the other amateur
bands.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I lift up the top portion of the cabinet I can see a slotted component which
apparently is meant for some type of adjustment. Could someone tell me its purpose?

Thanks,
Steve 
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

i seem to remember that "garbled" = leaky coupling capacitor, but I am sure I am wrong and someone will correct me. I would normally have suspected the filter caps, but you say it has very little hum. Are the electrolytics original? If so, that is pretty old and you might consider replacing them. I suspect it also needs an alignment and you not hearing anything on the other bands has more to do with your antenna than anything else. You should hear CW on 80. These little radios are pretty insensitive at higher frequencies.

I bet the slot is a transformer adjustment (or trimmer cap adjustment). Leave it alone for now.

Step #1 should be to get a schematic and measure voltages/resistances.

paul
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »

What do you mean by 'garbled'? Does that apply to AM BC SW bands or the ham bands? If the latter, it could well be that you are hearing SSB.
KE7RTV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »

Many thanks for the responses.

Not sure how to explain garbled except to say it's intelligible. Some of it is SSB but the problem
also affects SW . AM is very loud and clear.

Since the original post, I've spent more time with the radio and have heard CW on 15 and
someplace a little higher, as well as on 40 meters. The SSB is on 40.

For a radio with as many years on it as this one, I think it's in pretty good shape.

I haven't had the time to look inside at the caps because they are on the underside of
the circuit panel and not easy to get to.

I'm puzzled about the purpose of the adjustment screw which I described in the original
post but it's probably best I don't attempt to turn it. It's about 1.5 inches long, is threaded,
with a screw type slot in its top. It protrudes thru the topside of the circuit panel
and resides alongside the tubes.

Thanks again,

Steve
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »

This is an S-53A chassis... Are we talking about the brass screw between the 6H6 [V4] and 6SC7 [V6] ?

If so, that's the BFO coil. Proper adjustment is to set CW mode then zero beat the coil against a 455 KC test signal.

>>> The manual can be downloaded here  <<<

Never change a password on a Friday                
KE7RTV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

Thanks to all for your help and for the manual.......Steven
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: