Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonset Communicator III questions.  (Read 4193 times)
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

You're getting it bad. Like me!

Hi Colin,

You're right. Now I have a G-50! I'm stopping there though, I think  Wink
I'd love to find the communicator amp..
I've been calling CQ every day for two weeks, nothing!
I know the radios work, they hear each other..

Gil.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Gil, see if you can find other hams in your area that are interested in starting a 6 meter AM net.  A local ham here started one with just an announcement on the local weekly repeater net and it has taken off.  Just a bunch of locals for a few rounds of chewing the fat.  Same thing on 2 meter AM.  We started a local AM net there too.

Rick  wn2c
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »

Good idea Rick, I will do that :-)

Gil.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »

Holy Gonset! I am changing the oil on my car and my friend drops off a Communicator III 2M version! He has been saying that he had a radio for me for quite some time, and never told me what. He just dropped it off.

My question is, this appears AM only. I only wanted to receive, since it did not have any TX crystals. Since 2M has long gone FM, is this nothing more than a boat anchor?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »

If you're clever enough to add a ratio detector to the butt end of the last IF 'can' it could learn to do FM...........

I have a feeling the last IF 'can' (as you would call it) isn't at the now standard 10.7 MC, although the AM detector 'can' might have enough of a secondary winding to be adapted. If you're looking to keep it authentic, nose around your Phabulous Phifties Beitme squidmatic books for AM / FM schizmatics to see how it was done back in the day.

Typical FM detector used a 6AL5.   YMMV.   I don't see much value in an AM / FM mod as there are only three Hams in New Jersey who are still interested in Two Meter AM and four of them are in a nursing home.  One of 'em is a little schizo........   Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »

The Communicator series does only AM. Unless you have a local group of AM enthusiests that operate a weekly net you won't hear much activity. Since it has a tunable receiver you may be able to copy a local FM repeater by tuning to the edge of the signal. That's called "slope detecting". By placing the FM signal on the slope of the IF filter it converts the FM into AM so you can hear it. The audio quality usually isn't too good.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »

AM only indeed.. Like Rick suggested to me though, you might want to ask people on your local repeater if anyone wants to try 2mAM... A lot of Hams like those radios, especially the Gonsets. I have three.. I've never heard anyone on 6mAM in my area though, and you might not hear anyone on 2mAM either.. If the Gonset works, you could probably sell it easily online for about $100 + $25 for shipping, maximum.. I am still hoping to start a local 6mAM net..

Gil.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: