Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing mobiles in a 2007 Silverado Classic  (Read 2235 times)
KZ7B

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

2007 Silverado Classic Duramax LTZ. I want to install a Yaesu + a CB into the console area.

There are two, mostly useless cubbyholes in the center front console below the radio/HVAC stuff. The top one is small: 5" wide, 1.75" tall, and 2.75" deep. The large one is 7.25" wide, 1.75" tall, and 5.25" deep. Neither is a perfect 90 degree rectangle. Both are kind of skewed longer on one side. These two cubbyholes are surrounded by what looks like a bezel that trims it all out.

Question #1: How do I get that bezel piece off?

I have found two radios that will theoretically fit the heighth and width of these two compartments, but both are longer. The compact Bearcat CB will fit in the smaller compartment, but it is 6-5/8" deep. I need an extra 4"+. The Yaesu FT-8900R will fit the bottom compartment, but it is 6.6" deep. I need an extra 1.5-2.0". These depths do not count the need to screw on an antenna coupling to the back of the units which could add a couple of inches, though only at the coupling itself.

Question #2: What is the room behind these compartments? Is there some space back there or is it crammed with stuff?

Now the Yaesu has a detachable head, so I theoretically could mount the head in the bottom compartment and hide the body elsewhere, though frankly, I'd rather not. In any case, that's Option B.

I have located replacement parts for the bezel and the cubbyholes themselves in case I destroy the originals getting them out. The idea would be to remove those pieces, carve out the backs of the cubbyholes with a Dremel (or hammer depending on how agitated I get) and just have the backs of the cubbies be open to the interior of the dash, slip the radios in, and Voila! Nice, neat install. If more cooling is required i could trim out the "ceiling" of these two cpmpartments to add airflow.

Any thoughts?

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:23 PM »

Youtube may be your friend in this case.  I own a 2008 chevy p/u and found a video on how to install a 4wd light in the dash.  The viseo showed how to remove the trim, benzel, and the gauge pack.  The only thing I didn't like about the whole light in dash thing was the cobbled way the auther hooked to the 4wd switch wiring.

Anyway, I would visit Youtube and do a search for chevy p/u vids.  Look for generic r/r dash or something as simple as that.

Mike
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »

Usually those cubbyholes will be flat backed--unless there was something in the rear of them that needed clearance.  I wouldn't count on getting the needed space there by cutting out the back of them.  You may find that you get nowhere the extra needed space that you need.

Also, a lot of time the bezel pieces are held in with spring lock clips.  It takes a little extra to get them out, and if you don't put pressure in just the right way, you'll break the clip, the plastic tab the clips mount on--or even the dash area where the clips lock in.  Sometimes also, a special tool is needed to safely remove the pieces.
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

Do NOT mount the Yaesu in a cubby hole like that--the control head yes but NOT the whole radio.  That radio needs ventilation around it.  You mount it in a small space like that with no air circulation around it and it will not last long.  Heat build up is its worst enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: