Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-950 & Ameritron AL-811H -- Hooking them up?  (Read 16264 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »

That ebay listing looks like a very good item.  I wish I had seen that before I paid more for the Yaesu version and went through the trouble of soldering the RCA connectors.  The Yaesu version is a real rip-off.

Sam
W9KDX
WA3UOO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 06:02:14 AM »

I think it really pays to shop around for these types of things. I am swapping out an older ft 900 for a 950 and there are 3 to 4 cables that are going to have to be replaced as a result.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »

Doesn't ANYONE make or build things anymore?  Buy a cable?  You gotta be kidding!
WA3UOO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »

If you prefer to spend hours on end working with micro sized din connectors and 25 pin DB styles, go ahead. I don't have time for it. There's choice out there and if I had time I might consider making the cables.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:54 AM »

I'm with you as many times the connectors cost about as much as the cables. I like to pay myself minimum wage of at least 10 bucks per hour.

Frank
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »

If you prefer to spend hours on end working with micro sized din connectors and 25 pin DB styles, go ahead. I don't have time for it. There's choice out there and if I had time I might consider making the cables. 

I'm with you as many times the connectors cost about as much as the cables. I like to pay myself minimum wage of at least 10 bucks per hour.

These are in contension for the title of "Greatest Exaggerations of the Year" award!

Even if a person has money to burn or throws there money around like the often maligned "drunken sailor," this is a hobby for crying out loud!  Part of the hobby is assembling the station.  Maybe it's the "plug 'n Play" computer craze that has created this, I dunno.  I just find it sarcastic laughable!  Sorry.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »

DIN cables and such do not take "hours" to make.
And the price of the connectors are nowhere near that
of the premade cables.

What are you gonna do if you need a cable in an emergency,
or the middle of a contest, or Field Day or something?
Besides, doesn't anyone enjoy a challenge anymore?
Learning to do new things?
I thought that was part of a hobby. <shrugs>

A tip my Elmer gave me early on for soldering these
connectors was to cut away the pins I would not need
for that cable configuration.
After soldering 3-4 of them I found I could do it
without cutting any pins.

Whatever. If you wanna throw your money away, go ahead.
Every ham should know how to solder properly.
Besides, it's FUN!
73,  Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:51:38 PM by AD6KA » Logged
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

Ken,
The 950 is not supplied with a din plug for the linear hook up. Neither is an RCA plug. It takes time to locate and buy those things. Then once the proper wire is located that has to be obtained Also the 950 is a nice radio somewhat complicated to understand in the manual I read. Time to produce the cable means studying both the 950 manual and the ARB 704 manual. If you buy the items locally, then it takes time to go get them. HRO is about 30 miles from me. Gasoline is not free.  Shipping is not free. I think perhaps you engaged your rhetoric before you thought the situation out clearly. After the parts are bought, then the soldering begins. If one is not skilled at this then a world of damge can be done to a very fine radio. I think I just gave information as to where the connectors were available. I did express that I was with the post that wrote he did not have time to waste wiring up a cable. It is a choice for each to make  to enjoy the hobby. The cable is about 35 bucks or less. I personally could not obtain the parts, and wire the din, etc in less than three hours. I did not misrepresent the time or problem for me. I have wired many cables but would not suggest to anyone how to enjoy the hobby as it is a personal choice. Ameritron also has the plug and cable for the 950 so that is another source to purchase  ready made cable if one is so inclined.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:29:35 PM by K4RVN » Logged
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

You make some good points Frank.

It's a shame some that manufacturers don't ship rigs
with the connectors that are on them. (Not stuff
like RCA plugs, but 25 pin DIN and such.) Oh,
they'll throw in a 1/4 stereo phono plug for the key,
but sometimes that's about it....plus a couple fuses.

My MkIIg came shipped with the 13 Pin DIN already
soldered with 13 different colored wires, with the color
to connection chart in the manual. But I've spoken to
other MkIIg owners who say that didn't come with
theirs. Odd.

Good luck with the cable.
73 ES BCNU, Ken  AD6KA
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Ken
 Thanks for reply and I agree that Yaesu needs to supply the mini dins as Kenwood did on my 570DG and Icom did on my 7200. In addition the 10 pin that fits the linear jack on the Yaesu is a proprietary one and many available on the net will not work. Also I looked for just the din for the Yaesu and did not find one except in a foreign country. That does not mean they are not available  but hard to find. The Yaesu cable with a din plug on one end is available for 36 plus change and shipping. Then you have to wire two plugs on the end plus a power plug for the ARB 704. I went through this with another ham that's why I am familiar with the problems. This 950 I believe will have to be turned on in the menu to activate the outlet. I could be wrong on that. Happy trails to you,

Frank
K5AAT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »

thanks for the URL, I ordered one.  I like the usage of the radio interfaces.  Keeps it clean...
WA3YUR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PIN-MINI-DIN-LINEAR-CBL-YAESU-FT-950-FT-450-FT-450D-/250865818623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68c49bff
Got this one for just purchased AL-811HD to an FT-450D

I build my antennas, and am not "skeered" to use a soldering iron or build stuff. I have no trouble spending some dough on a well made connector, or supporting another ham's business, either.
Thanks for the info, Breh!
KB1TJY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »

Thanks to all for the advice.  Got it hooked up using the ARB-704 since I had it. Ham Radio is filled wqith considerate people who are willing to share their wisdom, experience and opinions.

Yes, it surely can be.

I'd omit the ARB-704 from this system as it adds nothing and just adds complexity and one more point of potential failure.

Have fun!
Would this be equally applicable to the Yaesu FT-450D and Ameritron AL-80B amplifier? I just purchased the ARB-704 this evening and after reading the above I am beginning to wonder if the ARB-704 is really necessary.

Thanks,

Lyman
KB1TJY
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »

DO YOU FT-450 OWNERS HAVE A OWNERS MANUAL?  If so, turn to page #13, look at the "important note" highlighted in blue.  What does it say? 
DO YOU FT-950 OWNERS HAVE A OWNERS MANUAL?  If so turn to page #14, read page #14 about using amplifiers.  What does it say?

What amplifier are you using?  What is the relay requirements of the amplifier?  Compare the relay requirements of your amp to the information given in your respective radio manual.  DO you need an interface like an ARB box?  Don't know the rleay requirements of your amp?  Measure it.  Use your VOM to measure the voltage at the relay jack, then use the VOM to measure the current the relay draws when actuated.  Compare the voltage and current to the information in your radio manual.  Now, do you need an interface?

I can tell you this..... With almost any newer radio you WILL NEED an interface with the following amps.  Kenwood TL-922  Heathkit SB-220  Heathkit SB-200.  There may be others, but these amps require one with most new radios.  If any already have a built in soft key, *** DO NOT USE AN ADDITIONAL BUFFER CIRCUIT. ***

Most if not ALL Ameritron amplifiers have a keying relay voltage of less than 14vdc and less than 150ma (.15A).  Compare this to your radio's manual and determine if you need an interface.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: