Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burn in on solid state amp  (Read 4300 times)
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »

I do not think burn-in means reliability. It means that the unit has generally exceeded the infant mortality curve and is on its way to wear out.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »

What would you be 'burning' in?
Your not enhancing anything.
Nothing but a failure during inital uses of the amplifier that is under warrenty.
The ageing process is normally over a long period of time.
You could call that burning in to a failure point over the life of the amplifier.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »

'Burn in' establishes the equipment performance over the period of time known to reliability engineers as 'infant mortality'. See MIL HDBK 217. This it is useful in establishing the initial performance of the equipment. ideally, after the burn in time, the average equipment will have reached the bottom of the MTBF curve.

Whether or not one does burn in for ham equipment depends on what returns you expect......
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »

I would defiantly do a MFJ quality inversion gravity test. Take the top off the amplifier and invert the chassis and shack it for about 30 seconds. Any parts that hit the table find out where they came from and put them back into the respective area of design. Some soldering may be necessary.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »

Amen to the "internal inspection"

However before "I" would even power it up , I would do an "internal inspection" to see that everything was there , parts soldered correct and no floating parts inside before running it.

Chances are you will find floating parts....

Check out  the reviews on other MFJ stuff... Floating parts is very common...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:16:58 PM by N4ATS » Logged
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

When the OP mentioned high-end audio equipment, a light went on in my head. Possibly tube audio equipment might need such a procedure. But I have never heard of any burn-in or break-in period needed for solid state equipment or computers. The tolerances of today's machine built circuit boards and components makes the days of plus or minus a thing of the past.
It's getting rare to plug a piece of electronics into the wall and it fails. The process is not perfect, but better than 20 yrs ago.

The audiophools insist that even in solidstate gear the capacitors need to be "worked" somewhat before they are able to pass all that great sound they insist is not present until the gear is burned in.  Roll Eyes

WOW! Ve1IDX...I was trying not to say that.... Shocked
And I'll agree about the commercial folks that they want a burn-in time to get any bugs out. Cellular folks definitely want 100% reliability.

I just call it as I see it especially things like that. I was in the commercial broadcast business for a couple decades and have no qualms whatsoever debunking electronic BS.   Grin
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »

Five minutes on the paint shaker at the local ACE Hardware store. If all the parts don't fall out, you are good to go.
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »

Actually as part of the burn-in process the PAs get vibrated as well...

burn-in aka "shake and bake"

Carl - W9PMZ
AD5WB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input.
I decided to do the operating burn in. 
So far so good.
All is performing properly and I am pleased.

Thanks everyone.
Very 73 and good dx
Leslie, AD5WB
Galveston Island, Texas
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: