Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do ham users expects for an handheld amateur radio  (Read 3767 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »

But for 50 bucks as a small knock around radio, cheap enough to give away, they do have a spot.  When I use mine on the mobility scooter ( stuck in my shirt pocket) I use a 1 inch tall 2m / 440 antenna so it does not poke me, and lets me talk to my friends in a place like Visalia or Pacificon, but for 50 dollars, such a deal, and to be able to give it to a 10 or 11 year old young lady or man when they pass their Tech  test, yea, just fine. Not a super HT, but it has its uses.

Ya know whats funny Steve, I have radios in the shack, radios in the car, radios ( lots of radios) in the truck, and almost never carry a HT, but looking around the shack I have 6 multi banders and 4 monobanders, and can't remember the last time a actually used one.  Go figure.

Smiley
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

WB6WIK said;
I really DO NOT need (ever):  -Out of band coverage, beyond the authorized amateur radio frequency bands...I'll pay extra for a hand-held that has NO ability to "receive" outside the ham radio bands, but instead has front-end helical resonators that severely limit the receiving bandwidth so sensitivity outside the ham bands would be terrible.

For the most part, I wholeheartedly agree, with one exception; that is the weather channels.  Not willing to give up that tight front end for them but a simple "dual front end" design could solve that problem.  Will definitely add to cost, though.
Tom

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: