Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR money?  (Read 37912 times)
KD6KVL

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »

http://dx-world.net/2012/zl9hr-aftermath/

Anyone know anything?
Frank KG6N
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:25:08 AM by KD6KVL » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »

I'm not 100% sure how DX'peditions work, but it seems to me that whatever money comes in first should pay for expenses, and then what's left over would be distributed among the members who paid out of their own pocket unless there was some prior agreement that stated otherwise. Also, there would be a full and open accounting of the ledger between the members of the team. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding and can be resolved soon.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:08:15 AM by K7KB » Logged
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »

It seems implied that if all the members pay equal stakes, the donations get evenly dispursed to all.  It sounds like the author is claiming that up to and during the expedition, there was some deflection on the matter, and silent treatment after.
We are only hearing one side of this, and if the members were concerned, to object up front, maybe the whole story will come out for clarification.
Frank KG6N
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »

I wonder if there were a way to create a "fund" to allow donations to go specifically to reimbursing the participants?

This is crazy. It is true it is "one side of the story", but the other side has not agreed to provide their side!

paul
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »

Just send money to their web-site  and hope for the best use of your money being sent. We really have no control over ZL9HR's use of monies received.  I have to have a little bit of faith that ALL money received will be distributed in a fair and just manner. I know that's a bunch to assume on anyone's part but I figure they did a good job getting to and back from Campbell Island and made many, many a contact as ZL9HR.....Thus, I must honestly think the ZL9HR Team will do what's right,correct, and proper with the funds given by individual donations from the world-wide ham community. Anyway.....that's the way I see it. I tip my hat to the ZL9HR Team....they surely did a GREAT JOB under less than ideal band conditions.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:35 PM »

Just send money to their web-site  and hope for the best use of your money being sent. We really have no control over ZL9HR's use of monies received.  I have to have a little bit of faith that ALL money received will be distributed in a fair and just manner. I know that's a bunch to assume on anyone's part but I figure they did a good job getting to and back from Campbell Island and made many, many a contact as ZL9HR.....Thus, I must honestly think the ZL9HR Team will do what's right,correct, and proper with the funds given by individual donations from the world-wide ham community. Anyway.....that's the way I see it. I tip my hat to the ZL9HR Team....they surely did a GREAT JOB under less than ideal band conditions.
Best regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --

Why would you have faith, that all monies will be sorted out in the end, when one operator has just stated he has totally disassociated himself from the group receiving the funds (HARAOA) and it's deceitful (his word) fundraising endeavors?

VK3YP's email is very clear. He says members will not receive any of the donations since that was not the agreement.

We can now add legal expenses to the cost of an expedition as it looks like written contracts will now be needed to be drawn up.

This is just about the worst thing that could happen seeing as these expeditions were already extremely difficult to pull off.

Does anybody have a link to the actual letter that was written by either ZL3CW or 9M6XRO?  I am reading a news article on DX World.

Chris/NU1O
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »

The actual link / letter was posted by ZL3CW on DX World Facebook page..

Co-leader VK3YP has replied via Dx World comments section:

http://dx-world.net/2012/zl9hr-aftermath/#comment-47431
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

The actual link / letter was posted by ZL3CW on DX World Facebook page..

Co-leader VK3YP has replied via Dx World comments section:

http://dx-world.net/2012/zl9hr-aftermath/#comment-47431

Thank you, Col.  I did not know you created the DX World site.  Congratulations on a job well done!  I read your site often.

I am glad that VK3YP has chimed in so we at least have a more balanced story. 

Only the members know what deals were made and who did what work but whatever disputes they have within the group nothing can take anything away from the first rate job they did. They simply ran a marvelous expedition to a very remote island and they allowed me to work an ATNO.  I am very grateful. 

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »

Wow.... this is a sad ending to an otherwise successful expedition.  I am certain that most any operation of this magnitude will have a little bump or two in the road now and then, but this is not good. Not good for DX in general, not good for the participants and very possibly not good for future expeditions which are in planning stages. You would think that the order of division of funds, etc. would have been agreed on prior to sailing. Here's hoping they get these financial matters worked out to everyone's benefit/satisfaction and lets go on the the next ATNO Grin

Actually, I was hoping for something to get us away from the LOTW discussion, but not like this. Sad

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:37:46 PM by AF3Y » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

My initial reaction was "This is crazy." Now upon reading VK3YP's cogent response my reaction is "This is weird."

paul
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »

Vk3yp said the team members would receive statements of financing after.
My question would be, did this arise during the expedition from dissent on the crews part?
It's a little cloudy.
Frank KG6N
VK3YP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

It was clearly explained during the dxpedition that a statement would be provided once all the financials where settled and this would take months after the dxpedition. Donations pledged are still to be paid, we still have bills to pay etc. our equipment won't leave NZ until mid January etc.

What triggered this is a email from Gene K5GS demanding that accounts be finalized by end of Jan 30th and payments made to team members by Feb 7th. Also he demanded that his auditor friend conduct an audit of the financials.

I will not respond to such threats. This has been a first class operation only let down by a poor choice of some team members who argued, would not follow team leaders instructions and caused difficulties during the actual operation.
VK3YP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »

Let me provide the most recent example. On arrival in Bluff NZ the boat was unloaded with the boat crew doing most of the work. The equipment was loaded onto the truck heading directly for the warehouse in Invercargill NZ, for equipment to be placed into the shipping crates.
The team all went at the same time in a a hired van (paid by myself) back to the warehouse with the agreement that every team member helps in packing the equipment in the crates before anyone departs to their hotel room.
When we arrived 4 team members refused and left to go back to their hotel rooms. These same team members then had expectations that I would pay for a celebration dinner that same night.
Keep in mind I already paid $600 from my own pocket for arrival team dinner for them.
VK3YP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »

I have contacted the remaining DX foundation sponsors of ZL9HR who between them pledged over $2000 towards the DXpedition. I have informed them as we have almost broken even on our costs to provide these funds to other future DXpeditions.
John VK3YP
ZL9HR Co Leader
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:56 AM »

Wow, sure is heating up in the dx-world comments.
Where's Tommy?
One operator claims the 40m moxon never came out?
No wonder they were so weak here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: