Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Use of /Maritime Mobile or Marine Mobile  (Read 5165 times)
KE5YKH

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

I own a 34' Silverton that I have installed a HF Ham Radio on.  Was tied to the dock this morning working 20 meters and was told by another Ham that I should not use /Maritime Mobile or /Marine Mobile with my call unless underway?  Could someone tell me if there is some ruling, that I should be aware of, restricting the use of Maritime Mobile or Marine Mobile designation.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »

It's common practice, but I don't think there is any FCC rule that applies. It should be noted that when you are inside the territorial waters of a country you are under the rules of that country and need their permission to operate. If you are in international waters then you fall under the rules of the country who licensed you.

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:47:17 AM »

The call you use depends on the frequency you are on.

If on marine freqs, use your marine call, if on amateur radio freqs, use your ham call.

If you are tied to a dock, theoretically, you are not marine mobile. I would probably us "portable" of maybe add the call district you are in, if different, such as KE5YKH/6 or something.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »

In the UK.
If you are on the sea or TIDAL river, you sign /MM
If you are above the tidal reaches of the river or on lakes or canals, you sign /M
Even moored up, you are on  the sea so I would think /MM

If this isnt fully clear I'd suggest contacting the ARRL or FCC, they should give a definitive answer
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »

A long time ago when operating as G3YCP/MM when alongside in a port or country that permitted operation you would sign /MA maritime alongside.

But this was in the days when you had to have a full PO radio inspection of the stations on board to ensure no cross interference.

From memory there were only about 5 or 6 of us /MM in those days.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

There is no applicable FCC rules that define precisely when to use MM or M.

-Maritime Mobile means operation on coastal or seas (salt water).  There is no such thing as "Marine Mobile" (unless you have a US Marine sitting in your pickup truck).

-I think it is accurate and reasonable to use the MM suffix even if you are moored alongside or anchored.

"Mobile" may be applied to vehicles on inland (fresh) waters or ground.

"Aeronautical Mobile" applies to operations from aircraft whether over land or seas.

But then there are hams who loudly insist that one should not sign Mobile from your car if it isn't in motion.  sheesh.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:22:25 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »

The US has no specific rules on the uses of any appended notations to your ham call sign--except for appending an indicator that you've passed your upgrade test and are using your new privileges before you get the proof that your license data has been amended to your reflect your new status.  Therefore you can use whatever you think best for your situation--including using just your callsign with NO other designation!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:17:58 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: