Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouxun software  (Read 12010 times)
W3EK

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:37:13 AM »

Is the Wouxun software supported by Windows 8. Can't seem to download usb cable driver and/or the software into my computer which is now running windows 8. Thanks
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »

The software to program the Wouxun and Baeofung radios has no problem with Windows 8.  The problem is that the programming cables use a serial to USB chip whose driver is not yet supported in Windows 8.  Windows 8 drivers, like Windows 7 64 bit drivers must be signed with a security certificate.  The are slight changes in how the driver developer needs to sign their Windows 8 drivers as compared to Windows 7.  Unfortunately, the manufacturers have not updated their drivers for Windows 8.  You can install the Windows 7 64 bit drivers on Windows 8, but you have to enable driver test mode in Windows which is a PITA.  Other than enabling driver test mode in Windows 8, the only thing you can do right now is program your units on a XP or Windows 7 machine, or wait until the manufacturer of the cables updates the drivers for Windows 8.

For those who get new computers with Windows 8, but don't like the UI changes, download the free open source Classic Shell program which gives you back your start button, menus, and causes Windows 8 to boot directly into the desktop like Windows 7.  Using this program, you will not be able to tell the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 unless you look closely.  Windows 8 is considerably faster than Windows 7, so it is a worthwhile upgrade and you can make it look like Windows 7 UI with Classic Shell.

Gene
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

Microsoft Windows - Always under construction!
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:14:42 AM »

How is this at all helpful to the original poster's question?

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »

You could make you own cable out of USB to serial converter that is known to work on Windows 8 (this is what I have done) and it will then work with any of the programming software out there.  I use Chirp.  If you are not willing to do this, you will have to wait until the available programming cables have their drivers updated.  It is a simple fix to the driver signing requirements, but the manufacturers don't seem to be in any hurry to update the drivers.

Here's a schematic of a simple homemade programming cable for use with a serial port. http://www.kh-gps.de/888_10.jpg If your computer with Windows 8 already (by some miracle) has a serial port, you are ready to go.  Otherwise, get a USB to serial converter cable that is known to work with Windows 8 and connect the above homemade cable to it.  Select the COM port in the programming software and go to town programming your Wouxon or Baofeng on Windows 8.  One USB to serial adapter known to work on Windows 8 is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007OWNYA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= The Windows 8 drivers are available for download from the manufacturers website at http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/708-usb-to-serial-converter.

Gene
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »

Gene

Because EVERY time windows "upgrades", users spend MONTHS picking up the pieces and begging for updated drivers, etc.  ERGO it is ALWAYS under construction.

BTW Gene, how is your reply, to my reply, at all helpful to the original poster's question?
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

Gene

Because EVERY time windows "upgrades", users spend MONTHS picking up the pieces and begging for updated drivers, etc.  ERGO it is ALWAYS under construction.

BTW Gene, how is your reply, to my reply, at all helpful to the original poster's question?

It's the manufacturer's responsibility, not Microsoft,  to make sure that they have updated drivers for Windows.  It's not like they have not had years of warning.  Most manufacturers have made sure their drivers work on Windows 8.  It is only the minority of manufacturers who have lagged behind because of their incompetence, indifference, or laziness.

NONE of your responses are helpful at all.

Gene
W3EK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Now to try to sort it out as I am truly computer illiterate. 73's  W3EK
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Now to try to sort it out as I am truly computer illiterate. 73's  W3EK

If you want it to work on your Windows 8 computer, build the cable I described earlier.  It does not take any computer competency to do it.  It requires no more competency than what would be required as in wiring a microphone for your radio.  If you can't do then, then you have other problems!

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:54 AM »

...It does not take any computer competency to do it.  It requires no more competency than what would be required as in wiring a microphone for your radio.  If you can't do then, then you have other problems!

You're living proof of that, aren't you?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

Gene

Because EVERY time windows "upgrades", users spend MONTHS picking up the pieces and begging for updated drivers, etc.  ERGO it is ALWAYS under construction.

It's the manufacturer's responsibility, not Microsoft,  to make sure that they have updated drivers for Windows.  It's not like they have not had years of warning.  Most manufacturers have made sure their drivers work on Windows 8.  It is only the minority of manufacturers who have lagged behind because of their incompetence, indifference, or laziness.

Gene

And, once again, your response was also not helpful at all.  Having worked with computers for over 35 years, I can attest that writing drivers is not a trivial exercise.  Your calling the manufacturers incompetent, indifferent or lazy surely must stem from your lack of personal experience in this process.  Otherwise, you are simply ignorant.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:26 AM »

Gene

Gene

And, once again, your response was also not helpful at all.  Having worked with computers for over 35 years, I can attest that writing drivers is not a trivial exercise.  Your calling the manufacturers incompetent, indifferent or lazy surely must stem from your lack of personal experience in this process.  Otherwise, you are simply ignorant.

Your response is the most ignorant one in this thread.  It's funny how the majority of manufacturers have managed to update their drivers to support Windows 8 before Windows 8 was officially released.  Only the lazy or indifferent manufacturers have not.

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:20:06 AM »

...It does not take any computer competency to do it.  It requires no more competency than what would be required as in wiring a microphone for your radio.  If you can't do then, then you have other problems!

You're living proof of that, aren't you?

You are living proof that Cber and appliance operator mentality has taken over Ham radio!  How about offers technical solutions instead of your ignorant opinion about Windows 8?

Gene
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »

Gene

Gene

Your response is the most ignorant one in this thread.  It's funny how the majority of manufacturers have managed to update their drivers to support Windows 8 before Windows 8 was officially released.  Only the lazy or indifferent manufacturers have not.

Gene

If my response is "ignorant" then, your response to it MUST come in a close second.  Happy Holidays Gene!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 04:33:16 AM »

Dennis, Just put that self-appointed thread cop on ignore--then you won't have to look at his twaddle.  73!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: