Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey DX-ers! Vote with Your Donation Money!  (Read 5252 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »

I have been donating $100 to DX-peditions more and more lately - as a way to give back to the hobby that has given me so much joy. I also will continue to donate to the NCDXF, but I also like to give directly to select DX-peditions (one's where I need it for an ATNO). In 2012 I stepped up my donation level and donated $100 to twice the DX-peditions I had in 2011.

From now on - before I write my check to ANY dx-pedition, I am going to ask for a full accounting - up front - of the DX-peditions budget, and what the DX-pedition plans to do if they come up short - or have an "overrage".

I hope you will consider doing the same. . . . . if we all do this - we will not see any more horse shit in this area . . .

Money talks, bullshit walks . . . .
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »

Well, I dont know about the others here, but as an old retired guy, $100 is a bit much for me to give to any expedition. When I was working and drawing a weekly check (one that was similar to my monthly income now), that was a different story.

I will continue to donate what I can, where I can. BTW, My donations have usually been submitted prior to the expedition.  If they do a good job, but I am not fortunate enough to work them, that is no reason to not have donated, IMHO. If I do get lucky, I try to round up a few more $ to add to my QSL request.

73, Gene AF3Y
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

I hope you will consider doing the same. . . . . if we all do this - we will not see any more horse shit in this area . . .

I absolutely "won't" be doing that. Whatever goes on behind the scenes of a DXpedition is their business - not mine. One incident of BS certainly does not justify a change of policy on my part regarding donations.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »

I just don't want to see this sort of horse shit go down again. It sucks.
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »

These situations can be avoided by having contracts or agreement in place between the team members and the leaders. Most DXpeditions do this already and it works.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »

Full disclosure will raise more questions than provide answers.

Jonathan W6GX
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »

These situations can be avoided by having contracts or agreement in place between the team members and the leaders. Most DXpeditions do this already and it works.

This sure sounds like the way to go - pure, simple, easy.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »

Jonathan W6GX

Agreed, in the same manner that I also don't want to see what goes on in the kitchen of my favorite restaurants.
 Cheesy
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »

Jonathan W6GX

Agreed, in the same manner that I also don't want to see what goes on in the kitchen of my favorite restaurants.
 Cheesy

Tums will take care of that . . .
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »

Its seems that in the recent case, the issue was raised by members and ignored, thats was their que to pump the brakes and make decisions.
Maybe it all went foward before there was more discussion.
Its sure bringing an ugly light to the operation.
Do I donate still or wait?
Frank KG6N
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

Its seems that in the recent case, the issue was raised by members and ignored, thats was their que to pump the brakes and make decisions.
Maybe it all went foward before there was more discussion.
Its sure bringing an ugly light to the operation.
Do I donate still or wait?
Frank KG6N

I like what N6PSE recommended and what W2IRT said - have a simple agreement that everyone understand ahead of time.

And if you are donating - ask a few questions before you send your check. That's all - no big deal - but that's what I will do.

I give my donations and let the DX-peds use it as they like. I give up front - and haven't even made a contact with some. But I will ask one or two questions from now on - via email - before sending my check.

No big deal, really. No Tums required.

Buyer Beware . . .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:19:09 PM by KY6R » Logged
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »

Agreed, there's a whole lot of other things for the tums these days than to break it out over our hobby!
Frank KG6N
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Question- do the big donors like NCDXF get to see a full financial disclosure from every dxpeditions they sponsor?  If NCDXF doesn't have an issue with the financial structure of a particular dxpedition then I would also be ok with it as well.

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »

The NCDXF requires a well prepared budget which they check carefully. They have not asked me for an accounting after the fact, but I would provide it to them if they asked.

The problem with full disclosure to everyone is that the IRS will soon want their part and there will be even less money available available for the DXpedition.  
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »

If anyone wants to read a perfectly legal, binding, proper and simple agreement on how a DXpedition should issue and utilise one [to team members], drop me an email. It's really not rocket science.

To not have a collectively signed agreement between a team prior to an expedition is craziness.

Col, MM0NDX
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: