Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your best DX catch?  (Read 6098 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:17 PM »

My best catch recently was JF2IWL and JA5TX on 20M JT65 running 5 watts to the 20 ft flagpole in front of my house!

Japan is easy to hear from the East coast, but working them is another matter, as they have plenty of interference during their early evenings, just as we have in the USA.  But, I found just the right time where they were really loud and the inteference weak enough to copy my -20 signal!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »

I have been really lucky, some of the DX I have confirmed is not active now: Turkmenistan, Navassa.  Also, I was VERY VERY lucky to work 7O6, A5, 9N, HK0, 3C6, 3C0, 4W, 5U, ST0, YI, T6 DXpeditions over the past 24 months.  Every time I did, I went in and gave the XYL a kiss for supporting my hobby.  Then I did a "victory dance" in the shack!  (She knows I am hopelessly addicted to DXing).

But for me, "best DX catch" is about the significance of the QSO or finally getting it after a long time, and not necessarily the rarity of the entity.

---JH1WIX, my first real DX, 15 meter CW in the Novice Band, 1977, I had my license for 5 months. I was 13 at the time, had just figured out that I could load my 40 meter inverted V on 15.  My parents thought I had received an electric shock from the Johnson Viking transmitter because they could hear me yelling so loudly from my room where they were downstairs.

---ZA1A - my dad did his masters thesis on (then) hard-line communist Albania in 1977.  What a thrill to tell my dad that I worked ZA1A in 1992 (after the iron curtain fell).

---VR2XMT, SV2ASP/A, V85SS - finally, VR2 and Mount Athos and Brunei after 35 years in the hobby.  Worked all three earlier this year.  Never, ever even heard any of them before this year.

---J69MV - Tot Henry. I actually met him in October 1988 when I was in the Coast Guard.  I got to meet his family as well back then, and toured his shack.  He is a wonderful person and a terrific ham.  I worked him on 10 this year AND on 6 meters.

---8R1X - September 1978, using a low dipole + 40 watts and a straight key, I worked that pileup for almost 3 hours but I did finally get through.

---ET3SID - finally worked Sid on Sept 15 of this year, and then he passed away 2 days later.  Great ham, sad loss.

---YF1AR - worked Buddy on the long path after my sunrise in April 2002 on a dipole on 15 SSB.  He had an amazing signal.

---4O3A with a half a watt on 20 meter CW.  Never thought such a small amount of power could do that much! 4595 miles on 0.5 watts = 9000+ miles per watt!

---VK4DHF with 5 watts and a dipole at 12 feet on 20 CW.  Interesting prop conditions, my dipole was oriented NE, directly at the gray line 30 min before sunset, and he was 30 minutes after his sunrise.  He was 599+, nobody else copied him on an open band.  10 minutes later, his signal faded and was gone.  I thought "spotlight" prop only happened on 160.

---VK9DNX at 2:45 in the morning local, barefoot on a Cushcraft MA8040V on 80 CW.  It was worth the fatigue I felt the next day!

---JH1OGC at my sunrise on 80 CW in the CQ WW DX CW contest, got me reading more about propagation!

---4Z1UF on 160 meters barefoot with my inverted L at his sunrise, February 4, 2010.  I was speechless when he replied to my call (it was 11:30 PM my time, I was almost ready to go to bed).  What REALLY blew me away was I worked him AGAIN, one year and one week later, February 11 2011, at exactly the same time of day.  That's what got me hooked on 160.  Both times I caught him calling CQ and noone else heard or answered him.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »

Though I said they're all good, the most difficult was 1A0C (SMOM) and 7O6T (Socotra Island) since these were the most difficult and got them near the end of their DXpedtion (I was trying from day one), one call each.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:49 PM »

Wow.  What a great thread.  If we could just get another 10 more pages of great stories like this I will put them all in a book and sell it for profit Grin  Please keep the stories coming.

Jonathan W6GX
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

In the contest I nailed Andorra, Jan Mayan, Guam, French Guiana
Ascention Tristen de Cuna {when Rob was there}.... Now I KNOW these are NOT
 the big tuna of fish, however I think half the fun is the feeling you get when you
finally get thru. I equate it to catching a big fish, fighting it for a few seconds, then letting it go
so another "angler" can experience the same feeling...
John
PS Hope thats not too much on the  Kiss side. If it is, feel free to bust balls...  Cheesy
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »

the big tuna of fish, however I think half the fun is the feeling you get when you
finally get thru. I equate it to catching a big fish, fighting it for a few seconds, then letting it go
John
PS Hope thats not too much on the  Kiss side. If it is, feel free to bust balls...  Cheesy

OK I was just fine till I read that you worked ZD9.  Now I'm totally
jealous. 

Bob
K6UJ
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

John

OK I was just fine till I read that you worked ZD9.  Now I'm totally
jealous. 

Bob
K6UJ

I forgot to embellish my post.

"Now I'm totally jealous"   Tongue  Tongue  Tongue

Bob
K6Uj 
K9SRV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »

did i mention rob ended up going by himself, and it was a harrowing 10 day trip on a freighter EACH WAY? The way is sounds, nobody in their right mind would try that dx again, at least for 15-20 years...  Cheesy
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »

9n1mm, no cluster just my elmer k4otv giving me a wake up call. and of course bs7h. i had every appliance in the house turned off, and a 10 kw gen running to power the alpha to full legal limit.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 05:36:51 AM »

Two QSOs come to mind: First, one day in 2002 15 meters was in good shape to the Far East and I worked some YBs, etc. on RTTY. Still tuning around, the screen showed a long string of "RY RY", stopped, and then several long lines of "P5 P5 P5". I didn't know what to make of this figuring someone was simply fooling around but what shortly followed was "CQ de P5/4L4FN up 1-2". I panicked and set my transmit frequency too high, maybe up 4, so Ed didn't hear me and again called CQ. No one came back to him so on his next CQ I corrected my mistake and he came right back to me.

Second, in 2001 I was chasing Chuck, 3Y0C, on Bouvet and heard him on 12ssb. I eventually got him but he said that he felt like some cw and asked me if I wanted to try cw. I of course did and worked him on cw. He worked maybe three or four stations and then he went back to ssb. Over 90% of his QSOs were on ssb so a cw QSO was unusual and my only one with Bouvet on that mode.

Surprises are one of the things that keep this game fresh; what a great hobby!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:46:14 AM by W2LO » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

Everyone has a pretty impressive list of rare entities.  I'm fairly new to chasing dx even though I've been a ham for 44 years.  Almost all of my old logs were either destroyed or lost.  But here's my most impressive catch:

S01MZ - Western Sahara

I worked him in Sept 2012 but just today, Dec 24,2012 I received a QSL card from him, hooray!

Merry Christmas de Randy
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »

Good evening all & Merry Christmas, being 100% QRP here there have been many " best catches, 3 that stand out were TROMELIN, BANGLADESH & LIBYA, it was how they were worked is what is memorable, after chasing FR5AI/T for about a week, it came down to the last day, I stayed up till 3am local time as it was rumored he might show up on a VK/ZL net, he was a no show, grabbed 2 hrs sleep so I could catch 20 mtr long path opening before sunrise, started at bottom of 20 and heard his fist at like 14.002 in qso, no callsign but I knew it was him, the other station signed and BEDLAM took place, well Ive worked Yoland many other times - HE DOEST LIKE PILEUPS - so off I go searching for his fist again, sure enough hes up about 5 kc in qso, I wait again for him to sign, pause and drop WG5G/QRP in, wait and hear WG5G/QRP 559 BK, finish our qso, Yoland again signs - BEDLAM - never heard him again, funny thing I couldnt go to sleep after that, HI HI. Next was Bangladesh, really had a tuff time with this one, was on Christmas break 1992, there was a special " list" operation for Eric S21ZG, well Im there early and Im to the east coast stations that are going to run this list, well again I am aware of a long path opening to W5 land so Im pointed SW over Australia, well the east coast stn starts calling Eric apparently short path, well I could Eric but they couldnt, so I called Eric, worked him qrp and was the only station able to hear or work him that day - TRUE STORY -lastly, back in the late 80s 5A LIBYA was pretty rare, anyway I was up later than usual on a work night and decided to tune 20 before going to bed, this was on cw as I only had a HEATHKIT HW-9 qrp cw only rig at the time, so Im tuning 20 and hear this HA0A calling cq dont bother with it as it was worked and cfmed, keep tuning and run across him again still calling cq this time the H sounded like a 5 so I called him, worked him and he continued calling cq and yes it was 5A0A still the only LIBYA qso I have, P.S. this was before packet clusters and spotting networks, truly a DXERS dream, 73 Dan WG5G/QRP.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:55:13 PM by WG5G » Logged
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »

To WG5G......To Dan and to everyone else who posted herein. GREAT STUFF!! I REALLY REALLY ENJOY HEARING ABOUT OTHER HAM WORKING DX AND SUCH MEMORABLE EXPERIENCES THAT HAVE STUCK WITH THEM OVER THEIR MANY YEARS OF BEING IN OUR WONDERFUL AND DIVERSIFIED HOBBY. I TIP MY HAT TO ALL OF YOU. Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas.
My BEST to all of you in 2013.....a Happy Healthy Safe New Year. GOOD DX
With the sincerest regards and many 72/73.
Don sr. --WA2TPU -- A TRUE 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

Happy Holidays Don, hope 2013 brings us both some new ones, 2012 was one of my best years dx wise, honestly hope peak of cycle is yet to come, may you work all you need in 2013, 72 Dan WG5G/QRP.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: