Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stepir BigIR vertical on DX Engineering tilt base  (Read 1028 times)
K8GY

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »

Does anyone have experience mounting a Big-IR vertical w/80 meter coil on tilt base? They(DX Engineering) does not specifically state using the Big IR.  I don't know why it wouldn't work except for the weight. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

Mark - I considered using my tilt base with my BigIR and as I recall the reasons I didn't/couldn't revolved around the configuration of the EHU and 80m coil.  They need to be mounted very close to the ground and I don't think the pressure exerted by the attaching U-bolts would be good for the fiberglass mast.  Don't know how you'd attach it to the BigIR for sure with the 80m coil accessory installed.  The good news is that it is VERY easy to simply loosen the cable clamp at the bottom of the EHU and lift the antenna up off the mounting pipe and just lay it over down to the ground.  Think the weight may have been an issue as well but would have to go back and check the literature.

Really like my BigIR, it's a firecracker on 80/40m and a decent performer above that.

73 - Dino KL0S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: