Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack HTX-242 Help  (Read 7688 times)
YONU

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

hi all I am in need of a little help I just received my tech Callsign and so I have am trying to get on the air the problem I am having is this on my HTX-242 I get great reception at least on hearing other people.  according to another local HAM they don't even here the mic key the radio indicates that it is transmiting and my SWR meater says the radio is outputting power.  I went so far as to unhook my dipole and connect a prefabbed RS brand antenna thinking it may have been the antenna.  I am at a loss as to what to check.

Thanks,
Reg
KK4NJC
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

Need more info.  Describe your dipole and what is the swr meter showing. Also describe the RS prefab antenna.  How is it fed? With coax?  What type.  What are you using for a power supply?

Rick  wn2c
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »

repeater split?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »

The rig has dual VFOs. So there is a chance you are transmitting where you don't want to.
Sit back, read the manual and start from there. With these modern rigs it is very easy to get lost.
If you got someone nearby ask for help. It is always better to tackle a problem as a team.
N8CT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »

Hi...if you are trying to talk through a repeater, do you have the offset set correctly? Common offsets are -600 for repeaters below 147.000 and +600 for repeaters above 147.000. There are some odd split repeaters around but the + or - 600 are the most often used. Most modern two meter radios automatically turn on the correct offset for you unless the radio has been modified to transmit out of band frequencies. Do you have the CTCSS tone (PL) set correctly? Most repeaters today require a PL tone to access them. You will have to listen to the repeater's ID as most will announce the required PL tone. Or you can consult a repeater directory for your area. You can even do a Google or Yahoo search for the frequency or callsign of the repeater you are trying to access and a lot of times you can find the info you need. Also, ask around other hams in your area, someone should be familiar with your radio as there were a lot of those around. Finally, if you are indeed on a simplex frequency where you will transmit and listen on same frequency, make sure you have the offset turned off. Look for a + or - sign in your display or the word dup with a + or - sign, you will want to turn this off so you will be on the same frequency. Do you have a scanner? You can program it to receive the frequency you are on to see if it is indeed transmitting there. A frequency counter would also work. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and WELCOME to one of the best hobbies around.  73 de Tom N8CT

YONU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

ok I did a reset on the htx just to be safe

so yes I do have the frequencies right for the repeater and the PL tone I have placed my shortwave which will monitor the 2 meter set in the next room and am told I can be heard my SWR meter shows output.  yet according to the local hams no one even hears the Mic key.

Thanks,
Reg
KK4NJC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »

Could be that one of the finals are toast.  If they are, you can still hear the signal within ten or twenty feet of the transmitter, but there won't be anything any further.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

Are the finals affordable to replace or am I better off getting a new 2meter
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »

Sorry--I don't even know if they're still available.  They're probably affordable--if you do it yourself, AND you can get them.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

cool thanks
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »

You still can get the MRF240A at around 20 bucks. However, I'd not just exchange it on the assumption. You should measure the output power using a dummy load. Probably you don't have the necessary equipment. So try to get help locally.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

Are the finals affordable to replace or am I better off getting a new 2meter

With so many good and inexpensive 2m mobile
rigs out there, I'd just get a brand new one.
Sure, you might be able to fix the HTX-242.
But it will most probably involve much more
than just dropping in new finals. There will be
bias and other adjustments......and I'm not even sure
you can get a Service Manual for this rig.

Just bite the bullet and get a nice new rig.
They are ALL pretty good, the difference being
mostly in the features and receiver coverage.
Figure out your budget, and what features you
want or need.

Then maybe learn to work on the broken one
in your spare time. IF you can fix it, then, well
you've got yourself a backup rig.
Even if you can't fix it, you're bound to learn
a lot in the process.

GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »

This is a bit early to say get a new rig, at least here under Mods and Repairs.
Just a simple search in the web reveals where to get the service manual.
Never ever give up.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »

The service manual used to be available at the Radio Shack website--the bummer is that it takes almost a miracle to find it there.  I may have it, I will have to look at my cd backup files.  I will post again if I find it.

Added--Yes, I do still have a PDF of the service manual.  Drop me a note at K1CJS at live dot com if you would like a copy.  73!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:21:16 AM by K1CJS » Logged
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »

hey quick question as if need be I will pickup a new rig but I am curious I put a dummy load ont he 242 and according to 2 SWR meters it is putting out full power but I get no voice would this be the Finals or could it be something betweent he mic jack and the transmitter? the reason I ask is I don't have the Original mic that came with it.

Thanks,
Reg
KK4NJC
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: