Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global QSLs Service  (Read 1668 times)
K3ZL

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »

I just heard about this a few days ago.  I'm probably way behind on this topic.  But, am wondering if any of you have tried this service, and what are your thoughts about it.
http://www.globalqsl.com/
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

I just heard about this a few days ago.  I'm probably way behind on this topic.  But, am wondering if any of you have tried this service, and what are your thoughts about it.
http://www.globalqsl.com/

Not a bad service. A little pricey but not awful. Great quality cards deposited straight into the bureau system without your needing to do it all yourself.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »

The only fly in the ointment is if you do a lot of domestic (USA) cards, they cannot go through the bureau, and some of the bureaus are opposed to handling domestic cards so it is unlikely that this policy will change.

But for DX it's fine.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:13 AM »

I'm about to start using GlobalQSL myself. The cost is well worth it due to the secretarial duties it eliminates. They had some growing pains in the beginning but the folks behind GlobalQSL listen to (and interact with) their customers to fix the bugs. They seem pretty finely tuned now - at least to the point of my satisfaction:

http://www.ae5x.com/blog/?s=globalqsl&.x=0&.y=0

John AE5X
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »

They had some growing pains in the beginning but the folks behind GlobalQSL listen to (and interact with) their customers to fix the bugs.

That's not been my experience. Global QSL violates ADIF: it misinterprets 'V' in "QSL_RCVD", and it expects the "QSL message" to be placed the COMMENT field instead of the QSLMSG field intended for that purpose. Requests that these defects be corrected have consistently yielded this response from Global QSL: "edit your ADIF before submitting it".

Correcting and testing their hosted application would take 15 minutes, worst case.

After more than a year, I stopped raising this issue and added a "compensate for Global QSL's ADIF non-compliance" checkbox in the part of DXLab that can route QSLs to be generated to Global QSL so that users would not have to manually edit ADIF files before submitting them.

Global QSL is a nasty combination of poor software quality and no empathy for users.

Dave, AA6YQ
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »

More reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6608

John AE5X
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:41:50 AM »

I started using GlobalQSL a month or so ago. I looked at the economics of replying to bureau cards and GlobalQSL doesn't cost much more than it was costing me to do it all manually - and definitely saves time.

Dave's AA6YQ comments about their software seem accurate - I immediately ran into some QSLs in my upload being rejected and it was because of the non-standard text people put in their QSL_VIA field in QRZ.com. When I tried to repeat the upload, GlobalQSL would hang. I'm a DXLab user and DXLab does a QRZ.com lookup that pulls that info into the log record and into the ADIF export. One query to Dave and he ginned up those features he mentioned - and now the upload goes very smoothly.

In my experience, it takes about 2 weeks for QSOs to be printed and mailed after you upload, since GlobalQSL aggregates all uploads for certain buros and prints/mails when they have enough - but that is plenty fast for me. I usually only do my buro cards twice per year, so GlobalQSL is much faster than I was!

One nice feature - you can create as many card designs as you like, so for my KP2/K3TN operation I send a different card than for my normal K3TN operation. So, if you use more than one call, it actually ends up saving money compared to printing multiple sets of cards or using callsign labels like I had been doing.

John K3TN

John K3TN
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »

Is it still running, because when I click on the link my browser finds nothing?

73 Mark N1UK
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »

I have been using Global QSL.com for several years to answer incoming bureau cards. To date, I have sent about 850 DX cards since 2007 using this service. No problems at all. When you consider the cost of the cards AND the fact they mail all the cards to the bureaus for you, thus saving you time and money, I have found it to be an outstanding service. And I have recommended it to many. I bought 1,000 cards from Global QSL back in 2007 for less than $90. I don't know what the current price is but I am about to run out of my original 1,000 and will order another 1,000.)

One poster said the service was pricey. Really? All of the above service -- saving me time and money - cost less than just ordering 1,000 color cards from many printers. I used to use the ARRL outgoing bureau for this but that involved lots of time organizing the cards, determining the cost and then a trip to the post office to send them to Newington. Global QSL eliminated all of that.

Six years with Global QSL and I'm still a very happy camper. I use a computer log to generate an ADIF file of QSO info, upload to their website, they print the cards with the QSO info on them and then send to the bureaus. I find I can answer about 90 cards per hour. And, I have no connection with Global QSL other than being a happy customer.

73, N4KZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: