Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There's something really wrong when.....  (Read 7080 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »

In five years the definition will include any radio where the lithium backup battery needs replacing.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

I was surprised too. When I was first licensed, the TS-520 was the "Brand new" radio. Subtle hint to the young guys: if it came with LED displays and integrated circuits (either by default or an option) it is not a boatanchor!

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »

WDX: is a Heathkit HW 16 a boat anchor?  It it all tubes but for some silicon diodes and a transistor that does the switching for xmit/rcv

Just IMHO: HW-16 (even though it has some crystal diodes and a transistor) is a boatanchor. HW-100 (FET in the VFO) is also a boatanchor. In either case, while there is a slight "Ding" factor for the presence of semiconductors, the use of tubes in every other stage outweighs the presence of solid state stuff.

At the same time, rigs like the TS-520 that only use tubes at the finals or finals+drivers, are not boatanchors simply because they have a tube or three. If I hook an Elecraft K3 to an Alpha 9500 (http://www.rfconcepts.com/PRODUCTS/New-Products/Alpha-9500-Autotune-Full-Legal-Limit-Linear-Amplifier), the presence of the tube in the final does not make the result a boatanchor.
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »

The OPs definition of "boat anchors " is becoming far too pedantic. The original concept was that a wireless was so heavy that it could act as an anchor for a boat( With me so far?)  Since when did they have to be purely tube radios?  What about a Marconi coherer? No tubes there.
How far will this filtering down of definitions go?  Will we be stating that to be a boat anchor, not only must it be all tube but also that the filaments must be 6.5v....or that it must be AM only..(out goes that coherer again  Roll Eyes..anything else doesn't count.
 I maintain that these early TRIO (Kenwood) and Yaesu hybrids earn the definition of boat anchor due to the early definition. Try carting one of these up a flight of stairs. Smiley

Jon G4FUT
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:56:45 AM by G4FUT » Logged

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:02:11 AM »

All this arguing, and for what?  Arguing about the definition of a 'boat anchor' is like arguing about the definition of 'old fart' or 'young lady/ex-young lady.'  Everybody has their own ideas, so why argue?
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:02 AM »

I would say as long as it is a 100% tube type radio it is a boat anchor. The Kenwood TS-530 doesn't qualify the TS-520 would and would be the last in line of the boat anchors.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 05:49:26 AM »

I would say as long as it is a 100% tube type radio it is a boat anchor. The Kenwood TS-530 doesn't qualify the TS-520 would and would be the last in line of the boat anchors.

Why would a TS-520 qualify but not a TS-530? Both are hybrids, with identical driver and final tubes. The two big differences are that the 520 has an analog VFO and doesn't cover 30-17-12, while the TS-530 has a synthesized VFO system and covers the WARC bands.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 06:35:20 AM »

Just for the sake of argument I will have to say that my MFJ cub is a boat anchor since it went over the side of my canoe in 3 ft. of water along with attached 12v car battery and held me in position for about 2 minutes via the anchor chain(antenna wire)before a gust of wind came up,broke the wire and set me adrift.So I would define my Cub as a fair weather boat anchor only.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »

Just for the sake of argument I will have to say that my MFJ cub is a boat anchor since it went over the side of my canoe in 3 ft. of water along with attached 12v car battery and held me in position for about 2 minutes via the anchor chain(antenna wire)before a gust of wind came up,broke the wire and set me adrift.So I would define my Cub as a fair weather boat anchor only.

Naw, the 'rope' you had attached to your anchor just wasn't heavy enough!   Grin
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »

Heathkit DX-100 is a Boat Anchor (about 100 lbs it seemed to my skinny 13 y.o. body)  Also Viking Valiants, etc.  The boat anchor really means it has no other use than dead weight.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »

Kenwood hybrids get additional boat anchor cred by virtue of having an AC mains power supply built in. 

I nearly tossed my old (1977) 820 a few years ago. It was barely working, had some rust poking thru, and had been unused for ages. My decision to restore it was based on it being my only radio that "plugs in."  It was also one of the last radios made with a purely mechanical freq readout (on the early non 'S'' models).

Plastic radio? The 820 weighs around 37 lbs as I recall.   
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

My main radio is a very much modified FT102. In terms of RF performance, it's still competitive - it has all the dynamic range actually needed in real life.

Plus I inherited it, so it did not cost me anything - always a bonus!
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »

I have been musing over what new radio to buy....  servicing down here is an issue..  only one ham dealer in Auckland.

So what radio does everyone reckon is the newest that is user serviceable.  TS830 is that about it, or is there anything "better/newer"?

Would love a FT102 but doesnt seem to be any over here.

Am getting the Drake lines back on the air both B & C, or should I save my pennies and do the Sherwood mod/s on the R4C, do they make it that much better to be competitive with a modern box?

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »

I take exception to your classifying the Hybrids as plastic radios. Although, I would not call them boat anchors. They are Hybrid
radios.

Don K5HFG

Maybe the Ham community will have to to find a universal definition like they have in the auto clubs.
Anything 25 years or older is classified as "antique" . In that spirit, any radio over 25 years old is a boat anchor?

However, the 25 year old radios may only be able to anchor a row boat instead of a 27 foot boat!  Grin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »

>However, the 25 year old radios may only be able to anchor a row boat instead of a 27 foot boat!<

I doubt that a 1939 HRO would even do that - it's pretty lightweight. I suppose if you threw in the power supply and all 10 plug in coils, you might manage it. Not if the coils were in the original wooden boxes, though!

And surely, a 1939 HRO with its 6D6 and 6C6's, a 6B7 and a 42 counts as a boat anchor ..........

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: