Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question for w8ji al 800  (Read 4505 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »

The AL-800 uses the same power transformer as the AL-800X export model. This tells us that the AL-800 power transformer is designed for 50 Hz. To operate at 250 VAC set the jumpers per the table on page 16 of the manual.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »

You could do dual conversion. First conversion to DC to charge a bank of buffer batteries.

The second conversion from DC to expected voltage.

That could give you clean AC at any voltage and frequency you design for. And the batteries don't really need to be able to support a full offline condition, you just need enough to smooth out the anomalies. And if your charging system is fast (reacting) enough, there won't be many anomalies.
Probably would be an expensive thing, though. I guess you get what you pay for, right?

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 05:43:06 AM »

The grid in the Philippines is not that bad. Doesn't look pretty but it works. When we were there I could understand why electronics take a beating there. Something like Jim's amp will survive the bumps in the power. Computers and TV's take a hit when the power gets squirrly. It's the lack of protection from lightning that takes out electronics. Lack of grounding and the severity of the storms there. Now I understand why my brother-in-law would rush around unplugging everything!! when a storm approached!!
I swear the three electrical storms we went through, the lightning seemed like it was 50 feet away. Every time the lights went out for 3 hours after these storms. And the A/C off!!! Start sweating after 20 minutes of no A/C...
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: