Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kantronics"The Interface" info?  (Read 2209 times)
KG4GSC

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2004, 10:08:10 AM »

Hi, all...sitting on my "project shelf" is a Kantronics "The Interface", which is an older TNC.  Looking for any info on it...power requirements/polarity, connection info, etc.  Probably not worth tinkering with, but during the cold winter nights.....hi.

Tnx in advance;
Andrew
N4ABA
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 02:28:22 PM »

Here you go! Here is how to connect that old TU to a PC with a RS-232 serial port.  
http://www.eham.net/articles/7305
BTY, it's not a TNC! It has a demodulator, tone generators for mark, space, and CW, and three filters. Two filters of which are used for the mark and space tones and one for a CW tone at 700 Hz. It also has a nice tuning display but it's easy to mistake the space tone peak instead of the desired mark tone. No big deal after you play with it tuning in a few stations. The article pretty much shows you everything you need to know. Terman93 is good software for RTTY, Amtor, and Pactor I modes and yes, full ARQ capability! Something you just can't get with a sound card. You can also hook it up to use it with Hamcomm 3.1 software and even WF1B RTTY contest software works with it.
I think I can find the manual for it and can scan it and attach the resulting PDF file to a email back to you if you like. 73 and good luck!
KG4GSC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 08:28:15 AM »

Scott, a thousand thanks!  I had searched some, but missed your article.  I really appreciate it, as I hate tossing working gear, and tinkering with ole gear is cheaper than therapy, hi!  (normally cheaper, depends on your "addiction").  Heh....tinker time.

Thanks again, and another slamdunk for eHam and the folks here!

Andrew
N4ABA
W0EAJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »

I actually have the BOOK on it, as I was just trying to find out if there's software still avail to run it.  I have a friend who still tinkers with Commodores (yeah, I know), and I thought I'd fix him up with the "The Interface" I have at my hand.  I'll trade you a copy of the manual, if you can come up with the software to run it.

Tom - W0EAJ - denver   /   www.daileyservices.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: