Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KWM2 - Exciter tuning - strange behavior - Help!  (Read 594 times)
W5SU

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »

This is a little hard to describe, but here goes...

I've got a winged emblem KWM2 that exhibits strange behavior in the exciter tuning control but only in the 3.5 MHz portion of its "eyebrow".  On 80M in receive when I try to peak a signal or background noise, I get oscillations that sound like "pip...pip...pip...pip...pip..." while moving the exciter tuning knob back and forth.  If I peak on one of the "pips" it leaves me with an oscillation on that frequency, and broadcast band images across the band.  But if I peak the noise and try to stay between one of the "pips", it receives OK with the exception that there is still a strong oscillation almost like a calibrator signal at a couple places on the band. 

This only happens on 80M, however even on 40M if I crank the exciter tuning to the left (in the 3.5 MHz part of the eyebrow) I can pick up weak "pips".

Tuning the transmitter is unaffected even on 80M and it provides full output. 

I tried rocking the 80M trimmers and coils back and forth then to their original positions, but made no difference.

Can someone shed some light on what may be going on?
(Am I going to get in trouble by also posting this on Boat Anchor forum?)

Many thanks and '73!

Carl - W5SU
Dallas TX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: