Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling CQ Rules  (Read 371 times)
MOTOR486

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

I am a brand new to CW. I can send at about 10 WPM, but only copy at about 5 - 7 WPM, so I send at that speed. My question is this:  When I call CQ, then give my call, is it okay to add, after my call, that I'm going to be operating at a certain speed?  For example:  "CQ CQ CQ de KJ4CBA at 7 WPM." I just want to stay within protocol. I have made a couple of CW QSO's and am having a ball.

Rob Frailing
KJ4CBA
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »

It's not protocol to include your copy speed in a CQ. Any decent operator will return your CQ at the speed you are sending...that's protocol. If they don't you can ask them to QRS (send more slowly).

The more time you spend on the air the more your code speed will increase. Don't listen for the dash and dahs. Listen for the rythum. CW is nothing more than music.

Hope to see you on the air.
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

Rob,

What  NK5G said.  Also, I will add that the 2 best, most accurate, online references for CW operating procedure are:

1. http://www.fists.org/basiccw.html

and

2. http://kb6nu.com/your-novice-accent/

Marc
KB1OOO
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »

While I can approximate your sending speed, its easy to mimic what you are doing, I wouldn't be able to approximate 7 wpm.

Take heart, just about everyone using CW started the way you have--everybody knows what it is like to be a novice with CW, and what it is like to struggle to be able to copy better and faster.

Bob

MOTOR486

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »

I have read the FISTS manual. I have now read that second one and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the answers that I knew to be true, but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll keep plugging along.

Rob
KJ4CBA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: