Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any independent professional reviews of the Anan-10 SDR?  (Read 3863 times)
2E0ILY

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »

I am looking at moving upwards from my home built Softrocks and considering an Apache Labs Anan-10 or even the 100 watt version, when it is finished. But I can't find any independent professional reviews of the Anan-10. Are there any? Thanks.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »

Maybe someone can ship a unit  to Rob Sherwood and ask him if he can test it. I am sure he would be interested in testing the unit.

I am not impressed by the cheap 12 volt PA with poor TX IMD. If the Anan is as good as they say they should have put decent 50 volt or higher fet PA  into the Anan.
But like every other transceiver manufacturer there main intention seems to be cheap and nasty rather making a better product. Worlds best receiver and the worlds poorest transmitter, is that called being smart?

The game in town that needs to be changed is the cleaning up of the filthy ham transmitters not making better receivers. Anan has contributed nothing to making a state of the art transceiver. Maybe when the HPSDR group develops their
feedforward or adaptive predistortion PA then they can lay claim to the  title of producing a state of the art radio. Amazing all the brain power in the HPSDR group and they design  such crap PA's for their radios.

I am looking at moving upwards from my home built Softrocks and considering an Apache Labs Anan-10 or even the 100 watt version, when it is finished. But I can't find any independent professional reviews of the Anan-10. Are there any? Thanks.
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:23 AM »

Thanks for the reply, until I read at least one independent review by those whose job it is to assess this sort of equipment I feel uneasy about a purchase. It's early days though. As you seem to have your finger on the pulse of these things, will the 100 watts transceiver have the IMD issues the 10 watt unit has? I believe the Anan-10 is having issues running transverters, with drive power being unable to be software controlled, as yet. This is important to me as I want to have a play with microwaves. I am told this is NOT an issue with the 100 watt boards. So would you know if the 100 watt boards are likely to less than optimal amplifier design? Thanks and all the best for the New Year.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »

Really, the 100 watt is cleaner? I seriously doubt that this is the case. The 100 watt PA is just a 12  volt FET design whose IMD performance wont be that good. It is very difficult getting cheap 12 volt fets working with excellent
IMD performance unless you  drop the  output power drastically.

I would not hold my breath expecting a   clean amplifier from any manufacturer wanting to make money.  The amplifier on the ANAN radio are just designed so that they can say they have a 100 watt radio.  If you spend such a
large amount of money on a Anan 100 you should expect better IMD performance for a 2000 dollar kit radio.

The IMD issue is of more importance on the VHF and UHF bands than it is on HF. You can hear phase noise across borders during VHF and UHF contests. Now considering that the IMD performance is typically 60 db worst than the phase
noise performance you can see why it so important having a cleaning radio.

Anyone who sells a 12 volt PA and calls it clean is really fooling their customers.

Terrible seeing a -50dbc IMD radio like the hermes being stuffed into 12 volt PA with 26dbc third order, an insult really to the design team. Theres is no scruples when it comes to making a dollar, even engineering ideals!

A radio like the Hermes should be using an adaptive pre-distortion PA, that will be the best long term solution for a clean signal on any band. I had to homebrew my PA chain to meet my IMD objectives of -40db 3rd order on any band.
It was very easy to do with MRF148's and VRF151's. I wonder why it is so hard for the  commercial designers?

Thanks for the reply, until I read at least one independent review by those whose job it is to assess this sort of equipment I feel uneasy about a purchase. It's early days though. As you seem to have your finger on the pulse of these things, will the 100 watts transceiver have the IMD issues the 10 watt unit has? I believe the Anan-10 is having issues running transverters, with drive power being unable to be software controlled, as yet. This is important to me as I want to have a play with microwaves. I am told this is NOT an issue with the 100 watt boards. So would you know if the 100 watt boards are likely to less than optimal amplifier design? Thanks and all the best for the New Year.
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:11:19 AM »

Thanks again for the informative answers, they have got me thinking about this subject a lot more deeply, which is good. Two more questions arise. If 100 watts from a 12 volt powered amp is likely to give poor IMD, are you saying that the majority of the 100 watt transceivers running off the ubiquitous 12 volt power supplies have poor IMD, say like my Kenwood TS-590?

I am finding the lack of a panadaptor is making me use my TS-590 less and less, and despite its somewhat lesser performance I receive on some home built Softrock receivers and transceivers, with a big monitor. seeing the section of the band is now so much better thsn constantly twiddling a knob in the hope of finding a new signal has almost made the latter method redundant for me. I wanted to move up from a sound card based SDR to a direct sampling one. If it were also able to transmit it would be a bonus, but not absolutely vital. What would be vital would be for whatever TX I used to be able to track the receiver, and preferably vice versa.

I need to do some more research to see if there's a means of using any of this lineage with a home brew amp, bypassing the 12 volt FET stuff. I doubt I can justify the cost of the upcoming high end Flex stuff, but as a point of interest will these likely be any better?

Much appreciate your input, all the best Zenki.

2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »

Too late to edit my post above, but as an aside, what about using the basic Hermes transceiver board and a separate 50 v PSU run PA? Anything commercially available, either built or in kit form, capable of being driven by the Hermes 500mW output and able to give about 200 watts clean output on all bands, although I am very unlikely to want to use the 60 meter band? I have a suitable 50 V at 50 amps PSU already. I assume the basic 500mW output of the Hermes will be clean and suitable for further amplification by a suitable PA? Thanks again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: