Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just finished building keyer kit  (Read 1771 times)
AA4N

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »

Well, I finished up my new CMOS-4 keyer kit and managed to power it up without reversing the polarity (been there, done that, got a t-shirt).

After a short, but anxiety filled pause, it beeped "OK".  So it looks like I'm in business.  Well, actually, now I need a key...

This will be new stuff for me.  I got to play with paddles for a few minutes at the ten tec factory one time, but I've spent most of my time on a bug or a straight key.

I suppose that my plan is to set it up as buggishly as possible and go from there.  Any suggestions?

mike  AA4N
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

Try using the hand you don't use for the bug and SK.
Bob
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

Hey, neat idea.  That works on several levels.

I wouldn't have to unlearn any bad habits, and it would free up my strong hand for logging or tweaking on the rig and such.

I might have to give that a try.  Maybe keep the standard right-hand setup, but operate left-hand...  Not sure that I'm ambidextrious enough tho.

73 mike
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »

To operate with the offhand, turn the paddles around such that the body of the key is under the palm of the hand and operate "overtop" of the key.  

That puts the dash and dot under the same finger or thumb of either hand, no "transposition" as when a right-hander tries to use a paddle that is wired for lefthand use.  

Old contest logging trick from the pre-computer logbook days, when the stronghand was needed for holding the pen.  
W3PYF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:46:07 AM »

Mike - what kit did you build and where did you buy it? melsnyder@gmail.com
NR1X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:12:08 AM »

Or, learn backwards like I did. Dah's on the thumb and Dits on the index finger. This really drives the OT's nuts at the multi/2 contest station I often operate from. I sometimes get up and forget to reverse the keyers back to "normal" and the explitives begin.. All I can do is laugh and tell them if they had elmered me properly this would have never happened. They are always telling me to change and start keying "normal", but it is way too late for that. Even though I have only been operating CW for just over a year, I fast tracked my self through the process and went from no code(0qsos in arrldx cw 09) to know code (over 700 qsos in arrldx cw2010 part of M/2)it is just plain too late to revert now. It's ok though I guess I am kinna an oddball so it fits me well.
GL es enjoy learning, no metter how you do it.
KB1NRB
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:19:10 AM »

I have no trouble going from a BUG to a KEYER and back using my right hand. You might find the same thing works for you.

The Vibroplex Vibrokeyer is the most BUG-like paddle.

I recently purchases a Bugali Simplex Pro paddle and like it very much. It is heavy and stays in place.

The light weight paddles tend to move around the table, especially if you are used to slapping around a BUG. I stay away from the light paddles such as the Vibroplex Code Mite. Had one and sold it.  

The one paddle avoid totally is the cheap $60 paddle sold by MFJ. I had one and it is junk. Does not stay in adjustement and will occasionally spew bit and pieces onto the desk.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »

W3PYF,  Hi, it is a Logikit CMOS-4.  Built by Idiom Press.

I've been using it for over a year now, and I couldn't be happier.  It has worked several big contests and I even took it to field day last year.

If memory serves, the kit sells for around $90.  They charge a bit more for the assembled version.  I bought mine directly from the Idiom Press website.

Check it out in the reviews section.  It's not the cheapest kit out there, but the quality is really quite good.  The finished device is quite professional looking too.

mike AA4N
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

My suggestion for a key is

1 N3ZN single lever

2 Kent single lever

in that order

73  W9OY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: