Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go with used Hex or buy New ?  (Read 3394 times)
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »

I looked at the NA4RR webpage and the antenna looks really nice. I wish him the best in the competitive world of hex beams. Another top notch offering can only help improve the overall quality of hex beams in general and keep the cost in line for all of us. But if NA4RR can get market share only by negatively blasting the competition I want nothing to do with him.

KA7NIQ, you are not helping NA4RR with your negative comments leveled at established well reviewed products.

Mike K2MK
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

I looked at the NA4RR webpage and the antenna looks really nice. I wish him the best in the competitive world of hex beams. Another top notch offering can only help improve the overall quality of hex beams in general and keep the cost in line for all of us. But if NA4RR can get market share only by negatively blasting the competition I want nothing to do with him.

KA7NIQ, you are not helping NA4RR with your negative comments leveled at established well reviewed products.

Mike K2MK
I am not trying to :Help: anyone, except fellow Hams looking for a great deal on a Hex Beam.
I could give a flying u know what if you buy an NA4RR Hex Beam, or not. I have nothing to do with NA4RR, and I am not trying to help him, as you infer.

Us Hams ask questions of established products all the time, and are often critical of them.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

Quote from: KA7NIQ link=topic=87246.msg645021#msg645021
I am not trying to :Help: anyone, except fellow Hams looking for a great deal on a Hex Beam.

How do you know it's a great deal? How long have you had one in the air? Are the exposed aluminum parts anodized after they were sheared, formed, drilled or punched? Is the stainless from Japan, Germany, the U.S. or China? Is it even stainless? Is the fiberglass U/V inhibited? Is the fiberglass coated with gelcoat? Is the plastic Delrin or Nylon or something else? Are there places where dissimilar metals will eat each other? What kind of coax was used for the feedline parts and was it waterproofed?

You already admitted you don't know the answers to all that because you've never touched one and have no experience with one. And yet in the last week you've posted a slew of posts in reference to how great this antenna is.

It might be. But without a track record like the competition, there's no way to judge, so whoever buys it for less takes all those chances. With an antenna that's been out for years to thousands of customers, pick ANY brand, there's been feedback, designs have been improved, engineering choices changed and product improvement ensues. You buy one of those antennas today, you get a better antenna than the first antenna they made.

Hear me. I'm not saying a thing about if this antenna is good or bad. I'm saying it's a bit premature to say it's a great deal when it might be a real toad that falls apart in a dozen different ways. It also might be a spectacular deal and the best hex beam antenna in the world. But we don't know that yet.

Low price tag seldom = the best. If that's the only criteria you recommend a new product with no track record on, you're being disingenuous at minimum.

I also hope it's the lowest price, best hex beam on the market and I wish NA4RR well in his efforts to penetrate a low margin market with a lot of competition. It's very difficult to be long term competitive and undercut your next lowest competitor by 30%,  yet still put out a high quality product. In fact it's a very difficult thing to do all that and actually make a profit. Without a profit, Customer Support turns into Customer No Support rather too soon.

I'll look him up at Hamcation and see for myself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:27:24 PM by N4CR » Logged

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »

Quote from: KA7NIQ link=topic=87246.msg645021#msg645021

How do you know it's a great deal? How long have you had one in the air? Are the exposed aluminum parts anodized after they were sheared, formed, drilled or punched? Is the stainless from Japan, Germany, the U.S. or China? Is it even stainless? Is the fiberglass U/V inhibited? Is the fiberglass coated with gelcoat? Is the plastic Delrin or Nylon or something else? Are there places where dissimilar metals will eat each other? What kind of coax was used for the feedline parts and was it waterproofed?

You already admitted you don't know the answers to all that because you've never touched one and have no experience with one. And yet in the last week you've posted a slew of posts in reference to how great this antenna is.

It might be. But without a track record like the competition, there's no way to judge, so whoever buys it for less takes all those chances. With an antenna that's been out for years to thousands of customers, pick ANY brand, there's been feedback, designs have been improved, engineering choices changed and product improvement ensues. You buy one of those antennas today, you get a better antenna than the first antenna they made.

Hear me. I'm not saying a thing about if this antenna is good or bad. I'm saying it's a bit premature to say it's a great deal when it might be a real toad that falls apart in a dozen different ways. It also might be a spectacular deal and the best hex beam antenna in the world. But we don't know that yet.

Low price tag seldom = the best. If that's the only criteria you recommend a new product with no track record on, you're being disingenuous at minimum.

I also hope it's the lowest price, best hex beam on the market and I wish NA4RR well in his efforts to penetrate a low margin market with a lot of competition. It's very difficult to be long term competitive and undercut your next lowest competitor by 30%,  yet still put out a high quality product. In fact it's a very difficult thing to do all that and actually make a profit. Without a profit, Customer Support turns into Customer No Support rather too soon.

I'll look him up at Hamcation and see for myself.
Hey CR, try reading my posts in this thread, numbers 7 and post 9 ?
Sure, I am excited when I can find, and pass on, what looks like a great deal, to my fellow Hams.
But, as always, the final consumer will make the final decision on what Hex Beam to purchase.
I said (read posts 7 and post 9) this LOOKS like a great deal, on a Hex Beam.

Remember, I am not W8JI, no one is going to buy any antenna "because Ka7niq says so" anyway.
I ask more questions here about antennas then I answer.
I am just a fellow Ham, who thinks he has found what appears to be a great deal on a Hex Beam.

If you alerted me to a brand new 1.5 KW amp, selling for less then 1/2 the price of an Ameritron AL 1500, the very first thing I am going to do is look at  shortcuts possibly taken in the power supply, or cheap Chinese Tubes, etc etc etc.

You brought up some excellent points about antenna construction materials BTW.

And, customer service is another BIG question. As you said, it is hard enough for a manufacturer to be putting up with crabby Hams anyway, some of who need to be on a Prozac Drip!

I have read "reviews" written by obviously clinically depressed Hams, that seek to flat azz ruin a manufacturers reputation on the Internet, because a  U Bolt or 2 was missing from the box!

Like you said CR, a manufacturer must make enough money, to provide good customer service, down the road.

I think your post was a great one, for any person looking to buy any antenna.
And, I look forward to your inspection of the NA4RR Hex Beam at Orlando Ham Fest.

Please let everyone know if you find something that is wrong with the NA4RR design ?

I have only spoken to NA4RR once. But my impression of him was not that of some antenna makers, who's Ego's were so big, they needed their own Zip Codes.

I think if NA4RR "made a mistake" on his parts selections, he would listen, and correct it. 

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: