Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feeding HF Dipole  (Read 5592 times)
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »

OK out of curiosity before I start walking around the neighborhood with a HT in therorticly how close would it have to be I tried killing the power to the house.to see if it was something of mine
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »

Could also be a pulsed battery charger - in some areas those would be more common
than electric fences.  Sometimes they will continue to cause interference even when
unplugged because they can draw power from the connected battery.

Depending on the signal strength, I'd start looking with a couple blocks.  If you can
hear it on an AM BC pocket radio then you can use the directional property of the
loopstick antenna to get a sense of direction.  There will be a null off of each end
of the antenna where the signal will be weaker, though you might not be able to
hear it due to the AGC in the receiver.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:21:07 AM by WB6BYU » Logged
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »

Would a invisible fence collar do it a friend had his dog over they other day and we have yet to find the collar
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

Well I went through the house with a HTML turns out the clicking was my printer I still have alot of distortion but that I assume is the antenna out of tune
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »

"Distortion"Huh

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »

yeah I still have some EMF Interference but I suppose the best way to describe what i was calling distortion is everyone I hear is hard to runderstand and sound like chipmunks
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »

Quote from: YONU
... everyone I hear is hard to runderstand and sound like chipmunks

Sounds like you don't have the SSB signals tuned in properly.  Carefully tune through a
signal and as the voice goes from high to low (or vice versa) you should hear a point
where it sounds like a normal pitch.

If not, make sure your rig is set to USB (Upper SideBand) on 10m.  It's not a requirement
that everybody uses USB  on 10m, but it is a convention that is followed by most hams.
And you won't be able to understand the signals if you aren't set to the right mode.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »

Well I found a big part of my problem I was reading the SWR meter wrong turns out the swr is over 5 and that is with a borrowed tuner
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

A 5:1 (not just "5") SWR won't affect how received signals sound.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »

sorry about that I always forget the :1  well I have the issue kind of sorted out(thats to a local ham)  it is in the radio as everything but LSB and USB are clear so I suppose I am gonna go place a post over in the repairs section
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

Everything but LSB and USB are clear?  I'm guessing, as someone suggested earlier, that you need some practice in tuning SSB signals.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:48 AM »

I think he needs an antenna manual, a lesson on how to use a SWR meter properly, and he needs to read the manual for his radio (whatever that is). That way he might be able to describe problems properly so we can answer those questions properly.

W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »

... but LSB and USB are clear ...

What is the setting of your frequency tuning step (TS) function and RIT (receiver incremental tuning)?

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »

It's been a very long time since I sat in front of a '757 so take this for what it's worth.
Just from the sound of your 'video', it may be that you have an 'IF' shift control set improperly, things sure sounded 'high' pitched.  The 'IF' shift is one way of getting that sound.  If you don't have one, getting a manual for your radio is a VERY good idea!  You may not always understand what the thing is telling you, but 'playing' with a control is one way of finding out what it does (or appears to do).  Most manuals will give you a 'starting point' for each control available.  'Refining'/adjusting that control to suit your own preference is then your choice.  There's nothing really 'intuitive' about adjusting a radio unless you have some experience of what something does.  (The manual is well worth having!)
Antenna wire size.  The quick and dirty answer to that is that the wire has to be able to support it's own weight plus whatever else uses it for support.  #18 wire works just dandy for antennas.  The only 'electrical' requirement is that it is conductive without a huge amount of resistance.  Going to a large sized wire doesn't do much good for anything except mechanical ability at HF.  Stretching is also a consideration, it 'de-tunes' a 'tuned' antenna, changes it's length.  That typically takes time though.  The 'fix' for that is to simply re-tune the antenna.
Sounds like you are 'getting there' so I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing particular aspects of the hobby.  We've all been there at one time or another!
Have fun.
 - 'Doc

YONU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

I assume when you refer to ""IF" Shift" you are referring to the shift knob also I have tried reseting all the controls to what the manual recommends and it makes no difference

Thanks,
Reg
KK4NJC
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: