Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chirp and Baofeng Radio Files Compatibility?  (Read 1715 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »

I have owned a Baofeng UV-5RA for the last 16 months. It has performed admirably. I used Chirp for the programming. I have just ordered a Baofeng UV-B5.

I know that Chirp will program the UV-B5 and I assume the USB cable for the UV-5RA will work with the UV-B5. What I do not know is can I use the Chirp file for my UV-5RA for programming the new Baofeng? I have maybe 60 channels programmed and do not look forward to programming that many channels by hand. If the UV-5RA file will not work with the new UV-B5, can I just export the channel information in a csv file and then import into the new radio without losing too much information? My experience with csv files in other software programs like loggers has not been pleasant.

Stan K9IUQ
KD0WZW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »

nope, but you can download the stock file, open your old file, and copy and paste the frequency list from one to the other.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

nope, but you can download the stock file, open your old file, and copy and paste the frequency list from one to the other.

I had not thought about that. I assume when you say "stock file" you mean download from the new UV-B5 to make a new file and then cut and paste from the old UV-5RA file.

I kinda figured that the UV-5RA file was not compatible because it has Menu information. The new Radio probably has different Menu settings.

Thanks for getting me on the right track,

Stan K9IUQ
ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:54 AM »

First, if the two radios have the exact same firmware version, they can be direct copied. I would not install an image from one firmware version onto another Baofeng with a different firmware version.  Model number is not the same as the firmware version.  I have two different model numbers that have the same firmware version/Baofeng image.

If they are not the same firmware version, then FIRST, download a copy of BOTH baofeng images from each radio before you do any editing, and SAVE them.  NEVER overwrite them.  They are available on the internet, but you can get them now and now not have to google around for them. (I know because I corrupted one of my images and had to get a new one from internet)   Now that you have a copy each of your original images, THEN start modifying the radio.  You can open up COPIES of BOTH images in CHIRP, and import entries from one to the other. Save, write to radio, then done.

You COULD export a CSV file from one and import to another.  That is perfectly acceptable. The only thing disallowed is installing an image for one firmware on another baofeng with a different firmware.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: