Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RE: EHAM WEBSITE COMPROMISED?..  (Read 19809 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »

RE:"All too often the people who are compromised didn't do that one simple thing. "

Yep..and real easy to do when you have broadband...
--BUT---
There are still ALOT of us who don't!
I have to carry my desktop to work to do that...PAIN in the arse..
and yes...mine was up-to-date in all respects.

The only thing that saved me was, I dual-boot into Linux.

KT4WO

Yes, I understand that some people don't have broadband, but if you use your computer on the internet quite a bit, you really should try to get it--even by satellite.  The rates are high, but not all that high considering what some broadband internet companies charge.

If you don't and/or can't, the best idea is to bite the bullet and let the dial-up take over the phone for the hour or so it takes--unless, of course, you don't mind the headaches that a total wipe and reload would give you!
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »

RE:"unless, of course, you don't mind the headaches that a total wipe and reload would give you!"

I do that monthly anyway!!...hahaha ....Really...Well,,,at least
every few months....

Trip - KT4WO

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

Eham has been hit again I think...

A FBI warning wanting 400 bucks locked up my desktop...
I reformated and reinstalled....2 days later ,,,while on eham
It did it again!!  FM

Can you tell me you OS and web browser?

We have gotten several similar reports but so far I can not get any of the tools to detect this malware.
Using local tools as well as several online scanners. 

I do wish you had posted a new topic (I would have been notified) and not posted to one that was over a year old.

I have split your post out into a new thread.

Thanks

Google webmaster tools has a malware sweep
According to your page source you are set up with google.

Jim
AC2U

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

Google webmaster tools has a malware sweep
According to your page source you are set up with google.

Jim
AC2U

Yep - one of the number of outside tools used to keep on top of this sort of thing.
It did not turn up malware on the site either.

George
K5TR
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »

RE:"unless, of course, you don't mind the headaches that a total wipe and reload would give you!"

I do that monthly anyway!!...hahaha ....Really...Well,,,at least
every few months....

Trip - KT4WO

Curious, why?? If you approach the problem prepared to fight the idiots who get their jollies by putting the viruses and junk out there in the first place, you should not have too.

I run an OS install until the next OS relaease requires a upgrade (lack of support or need for functions) at which time I do a fresh install on a new HD. My PC's stay on 24x7 and sometimes for weeks on end without a reboot. I run all the required patches, hardware firewall/router and Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus on each one.

You should not need to rebuild anything if done correct the first time around. Also if you're on dialup or an extremely slow connection, like you inferred, I'd suggest you look into upgrading your ISP. Broadband/cable is almost free nowadays. We have 6 computers networked at home and even with streaming video on multiple machines simultaneously, one hardly notices any impact.

It's well worth the minor cost to have fast internet.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »

the "fbi" virus is everywhere not a eham cause.
If first time seen ,safe mode and go back to earlier date and restart.
Norton will handle it, if installed after restart.
Bob
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »

Note on high speed internet, that is faster than dialup: In ceratain rural areas, those best for good antenna farms, it is unavailable at reasonable prices. I have low end high speed internet but it is $100 month. Satellite is very unreliable, cable doesn't exist in my area (coming real soon for 6 years), dsl same as cable. Dialup is unusable for long downloads due to line protection (long download disables phone line for a day).

Just some of the fun of living where you can have a tower.

KF7CG
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »

Note on high speed internet, that is faster than dialup: In ceratain rural areas, those best for good antenna farms, it is unavailable at reasonable prices. ....
Just some of the fun of living where you can have a tower.

If I had to pick between having great antennas, and having fast internet, I'd take the antennas in a heartbeat!  Smiley  I don't have the choice, and I *do* like having DSL internet service ... but I'd rather have a big tower and room for some big wire antenna arrays.  :-)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

AC4RD,

That is why we live where we do! Right now I am using 3G cellphone data link in unlimited mode. It isn't too bad until the cell system loads up.

Being able to put up a good tower and some longer wire antennas makes it worthwhile.

All I need to help me out is for one of the local farmers to snag the 30+ year old phone cable with a tractor and when they replace the cable we will have DSL. Other houses in the same general area where I am recently had to have their cable replaced and they go DSL.

KF7CG
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »

RE: "Also if you're on dialup or an extremely slow connection, like you inferred, I'd suggest you look into upgrading your ISP. Broadband/cable is almost free nowadays."

Free Huh ... Damn...where do you live??..

Yea...That would be great... maybe you can get them to extend cable or DSL to me....
So...I have a choice between cell broadband or satellite ...both at 60+ a month...

It real easy to say "just upgrade/pay the price" ....Tell ya what..you pay the price
and I will get satellite...!!! ...ha!

As for reinstalling monthly... Thats how I learned alot about the diff. OS's out there...
Now I am paid for what I learned doing that Smiley .....

KT4WO
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »

On a related note........... Everyone needs to read this:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/01/11/169156325/computer-users-should-disable-java-7-due-to-security-flaw-experts-say

Never change a password on a Friday                
AF7CS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »

Got FBI virus while at eham viewing ham shack pictures. Thought no relation to web site, but got it again on a second computer while on eham viewing ham shack pictures. Running McAfee, purged FBI virus via Norton video posted on utube.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »

Congratulations to VE3FMC for actually mentioning a software version... Allow me to be the first to say I've had NO problems with eHam through Firefox 17.0.1 on top of Windows XP. Ditto for Firefox on top of Linux Mint 14 / Mate.

Sometimes it's good to mention both the app and OS versions as that can help define the issue.

BTW:  If you don't know about this, it's time you did...  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

No problems with Chrome, (latest version), and Debian Linux...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 07:12:21 AM »

Also had the FBI scam hit me about a month ago after being here on e-ham .Could not clear it with Norton,reboots,fire walls ect.Long story short,my computer geek cleaned out my laptop and installed Kapersky 2013(supposedly the best!)since then the only Trogan block pop ups I get are here on the e-ham site. Norton techs told me once cleared and reinstalled would'nt necessarily mean the virus had not infected some other area of the computer and still be in there.
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

For cleaning out Windows systems, the very first thing I do is to boot the computer to an AVG rescue disk. (found here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd)

This boots to a Linux OS, so Windows malware doesn't get the chance to load and hide; the rescue disk has a version of AVG anti-virus which runs under Linux and looks for Windows-based malware on the computer's hard disk(s).  Once the computer has booted, the anti-virus software looks to the AVG website for the latest virus definition files (I've seen AVG update as many as 3 times a day, so the files will be quite current).

AVG has both CD and USB based boot images available; the user guide is here: http://free.avg.com/us-en/226162 . Among other goodies, the rescue disk has a registry editor, so you can manually remove unwanted registry entries once the av software has removed the offending files.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: