Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q-codes and question marks  (Read 693 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »

Increasing annoyance especially from DX stations which always omit a question mark from Q-codes that are used as a question. Similar to the complaint about stations omitting all the CW procedurals (DE, KN, K) as commonly done by DX stations (and I'm not talking rare DX stations here.)

Most common annoyance: Hearing "QRL" in the middle of nowhere on 20M. Is that someone telling me that the frequency is in use? No, almost never. They really mean "QRL?" and are asking if the frequency is in use.

QRZ without a question mark is less annoying, if for no other reason than if it is sent by itself it probably is a question.

OK, got that off my chest. It's refreshing to get out of the lower 25kHz and here procedurals and Q-codes used correctly.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »

>>>Most common annoyance: Hearing "QRL" in the middle of nowhere on 20M. Is that someone telling me that the frequency is in use? No, almost never. They really mean "QRL?" and are asking if the frequency is in use.

Well, there are a number of operators who merely send out a "?" to see if the frequency is busy.  I wonder if there are enough single ? marks to spread around to those who send QRL without a ? mark.  Maybe it all averages out.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »

If you don't like the was a CW op is doing things, you can always give him a call from 4Q2PAL.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »

Maybe the op is concerned that the frequency could be in use, and does not want to cause more interference with a ? following the QRL?

Best from Tucson
Bob
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »

I don't get annoyed.
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:52 AM »

oh bunk

i don't use question marks
why use extra stuff

same for all the extra prosigns

somebody using AR K
at the end of calling CQ
why the AR
why not simply a K

we are in a rag chew you don't need to send my call anymore

as in bk to you hw  my call DE your call

its been only 3 min since your last ID
you realy do not need to send
my call your call agan

its so funny

i call cq
WX9XXX calls me he is 599 plus big sig
i send the basic hello trans

u know

tnx om ur rst 599 599 strong
qth nr detroit detroit op mac mac

bk

nothing
nothing
nothing
nothing
dead air

send
WX8XXX de W8ZNX K

now he wakes up

can't we just shoot the breeze
what's the use
in having
modern a go go QSK rigs
if you are going to keep using them like
a old Viking II and SX-99
that you were too dumb to lash up a one switch change over

yea i did it
old 3 switch style change over
but
heck why bother having QSK if we are not going to use it

prosigns
are all fine and good
but most are for passing traffic
most of us are not passing traffic
we are shooting the bull
or having a quicky 599 dx contact

prosigns over used
along with punctuation

we are having a rag chew
we don't need punctuation
when you are talking on fone
why do we need punctuation for cw

nothing like a op that has to use tons of punctuation

man nothing puts me to sleep faster than a slow speed op
that simply HAS TO USE lots of punctuation

oh yes
please
PLEASE do not repeat what i sent
you do not need to prove to me that you copied
what i sent

you hear it all the time

fb mac your hb 6AG7 6L6 ten watt bread board
transmitter and full wave loop  is doing a
fb job from detroit

please tell me about yourself
id rather find out your cats names
than hear what i just sent
repeated back to me

helm down

im a  lumberjack and im ok
i sleep all night and work all day

dit dit
mac
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:02:10 AM »

> i don't use question marks
> why use extra stuff

Because "QRL" means something fundamentally different than "QRL?".

QRL means "go away, we're using this frequency". QRL? means "is this frequency in use?". Sent out of the blue with no context these are fundamentally different things. And on the DX parts of the bands, where it's most likely that you aren't hearing one end or the other of the communications, is where I here QRL most often misused.

Of course lots of other Q-codes have completely extraneous words used around them all the time when a question mark is by definiton all that is needed. For example: "WHAT IS UR QTH" when all that is really needed is "QTH?". This doesn't bother me so much because by that point we're already in a QSO. And QRZ is often misused without a question mark too but generally doesn't mean "go away" :-).

All this started going around on my head after SKN. I had spent a long time hanging out in the bottom 25kc of each band and it was very very refreshing to move out of there and work people who actually remembered and used Q-signals and procedurals correctly and efficiently. Of course SKN participants very much tend to be old-timers too. I think that using a straight key encourages efficient and clear operation. Computer keyers or even just paddles emphasize speed over efficiency and clarity I think.

I may not be an old-timer (only 41 years old but a CW operator for 31 of them), but I contrast what I hear on the bands today with what I heard 30 years ago and today I hear an incredible emphasis on rate and not much emphasis on communications. This is especially true in a contest but unfortunately tends to show up too much in plain old conversations too.

Tim.
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:44:42 AM »

you do not need
to use a interrogation point with QRL

its implied

radiotelegraph procedure
has everything to do with
handing traffic
it also
dates back to ops having to throw
switches to go from transmit to receive

only punctuation i use are
the Dash and Virgule

you realy do not need to use
interrogation point

mac

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »

"somebody using AR K
at the end of calling CQ
why the AR
why not simply a K"

---------
Even Worse...ending a CQ with AR KN. Exlain the logic of a general call but only to that station that's being called.

CQs should end with <<<K>>> and nothing else.   I think the League has been saying that for 50 years that I know.

W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »

While not exactly on the subject, I find it somewhat annoying to hear folks chatting away and starting and ending every single transmission with "BK."  

T'ain't necessary!  

No long ago I was just tuning around and stumbled across a delightful QSO between a couple of guys who knew how to talk.  Not once in ten minutes did I hear a "BK" or even a "K".   They did not appear to be using full QSK, but when one guy paused a moment, the other guy started.  No "K", no "BK" no "bk to u" no nothing, but a simple and easy conversation.  Admirable.  I didn't join in, or even try to.  I just sat back and listened for a while to the smooth and easy QSO.  

But "K" is OK.  Starting every transmission with "BK" is a total waste.  

I'm glad to hear so many people, especially newcomers, getting into CW.  It is not the dying art it was purported to be.  It is also very encouraging to know of the number of newer hams who are using straight keys, keeping a very old and wonderful tradition alive.  As I get older, and the bones stiffen, it is harder and harder to enjoy a straight key, but I still try now and then!  Keep it going!

Ed
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »

<<by WB2WIK on January 1, 2009>>  

"If you don't like the was a CW op is doing things, you can always give him a call from 4Q2PAL."

I like the way this man thinks, HI
W3HR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »

N3QE is right.  Let's do it properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: