Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7410  (Read 3488 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 09:42:26 AM »

Have you used both at the same time to test side by side Huh

I'm hoping that Elecraft will build a K4 that is basically a K3 but in a nicer to use package.

It's time they did,

Trevor
EI2GLB

Why not buy and build a Elecraft K3. The bare bones one is about the same price and a hell of a lot better rig.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »

Why not buy and build a Elecraft K3. The bare bones one is about the same price and a hell of a lot better rig.

I have used a K3 in a friends shack.... Just too small on the front end for me, with my big hands, etc.. I KNOW it is a primo rig for the price, but I am pretty well sold on Icom. My first rig was Kenwood, I used it for a Couple years and sold it and bought the ProIII. I prefer the Icom to Kenwood, but I am sure its just a personal thing. I did not want to start a YAESU vs ICOM vs Kenwood, vs.................  I am sure that one could go on for a while.hi

73, Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »

What about a 7000? It would be great for Field Day. BTW, I have never used a band scope. What is the purpose of it?
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »

Been an Icom owner for many years since I was first licensed in 1994.  My last rig was a Icom 7600 and sold that for an Elecraft K3 and never looked back.  All of my Icoms were noisy until I got the K3 with superior noise rejection.  It all depends also on your operating environment.  I had a powerline about 50 feet from my antennas and now that's gone since I moved to a community with underground powerlines and CC&R.  Now all the noise is gone and so are my antennas with the radio sitting in the closet  Cheesy

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »

What about a 7000? It would be great for Field Day. BTW, I have never used a band scope. What is the purpose of it?

Gives you a visual of signals on the band. Go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOAIeSfikJI

73, Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »

Oh, wicked. Never got to see that before. I can see that being useful. You'd think I would know about that working at HRO, but I never get to play with the radios. That is for customer's only. I have an FT-950. Does not have that feature.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

Oh, wicked. Never got to see that before. I can see that being useful. You'd think I would know about that working at HRO, but I never get to play with the radios. That is for customer's only. I have an FT-950. Does not have that feature.

Who said that, your Boss?  How can you sell something if you don't know about it's features?

Rick  wn2c
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »

Who said that, your Boss?  How can you sell something if you don't know about it's features?

Rick  wn2c

Easy. I ring it up. This is so much stuff in that store, there is no way anyone can learn all the features of all the radios. And they frequently change and go obsolete. They have to have over 50 radios there, including VHF and UHF. It would be impossible know every feature. Most of the time there is no time to even be near the displays, as I am behind the counter. Each one of the sales guys has a different area of expertise. The primary concern of the mgmt is to service the customer and get then rung up as soon as they are ready. We also take phone and internet orders in addition to in-store sales. Learning the features of radios is way down on the priorities list.

Lastly. Other than new hams, most hams already know about the features, how they work, and what they want. As I said, I work there on Sat only. I have a full time job during the week. That makes it more difficult to learn everything.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »

Best thing to do is get into the store and put hands on.  (Can't do that with Elecraft or TenTec).  And get into a shack of a ham who has one.  It's a lot of money to put down and then be unhappy with the choice.

I have been to AES in Orlando, HRO in Deleware, Woodbridge, Phoenix and Atlanta.  I have ALWAYS played with the rigs on display.  ALL of the sales staff at these stores have consistently treated me with kindess and welcomed my interest in getting hands-on with the rigs. 

More importantly, I got to hang with some true DXers in local clubs who taught me a lot and helped me to make an informed, unbiased decision (thanks N1LN and KZ1X).  In the end, I bought a Flex Radio Flex 3000 and have never looked back...which is odd because I have always been a Kenwood man since 1978 as a teenager.  But the DX excitement has really taken off for me with Flex.

Now, there are many who HATE it.  So I don't want to get into a back-and-forth on this board (there's plenty of that under the SDR section).  My point is...ask some local hams to let you into their shacks.  You will be better able to pick the right rig for you.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: