Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-811 Manual - In Box?  (Read 1449 times)
W6JHB

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »

I just last Friday ordered an Ameritron AL-811 amp from DXE. Can anyone tell me if there is a paper version of the manual included in the box, or do they give you a CD/DVD and expect the buyer to print their own? I've found the PDF version of the manual online and can print it from there ahead of time, but if a printed one comes in the box, no need to kill more trees.

Jim / W6JHB
Retired in Folsom, CA - and loving it!!!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »

JHB: Suggestion.  Print out a copy to study ahead of receiving your new "toy."  That way there will be fewer questions that have to be worked out and you can get the thing operational faster. 

If there is a manual in the box, that's OK too.  Keep the copy your printed in the bathroom.  Anyone who goes to the bathroom without reading is wasting half his time!   Grin

W6JHB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »

Grin Yep, that's probably a good idea, since it's not a huge manual anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jim / W6JHB
Retired in Folsom, CA - and loving it!!!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »

The box will contain a paper copy of the manual.

Tune-up is easy and best done with an electronic keyer sending DITs. Peak the LOAD and TUNE controls for maximum power while adjusting the RF input power for the desired RF output power. I always ran my AL-811 at 600 watts in CW and that runs the tubes at the ICAS rating of 65 watts plate dissipation. I pretty much ignore the grid current. When sending CW the tube plates will glow a dull red in the center. That's good for them.

I would not baby the amp. The power supply has reserve and the tubes are only $20. May as well get the RF power you paid for. Write down the LOAD and TUNE settings and when changing bands simply dial those numbers in. Hit the key and peak the power with the TUNE control and it's ready to go.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

We plant more trees than we chop down. PRINT THE MANUAL AND STUDY IT EVERYWHERE.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »

I keep a link to the Ameritron Download for the manual in my favorites. That way I was able to study it before the amp arrived . Mine came with a paper manual which I leave on the desk to use the presets. I tune mine in the cw position using about 10 to 20 watts, then up the drive to about 55 and tune for max watts out on the watt meter. I have a dedicated single band antenna for 40 meters on this amp most of the time. This only takes me seconds. I don't try to load the amp using the amp's meters. I only use it for SSb and only check the meters after I switch from the cw position. I do glance at them during tune up to make sure they are not way over the values in my manual. I know that you have had amps but this amp will require a quick tune so as not to overheat the tubes. I would baby it until I was sure it was made as it should be with everything soldered and all screws and nuts in place. A blown tube can get some other components. A slight break in period to check it out is suggested by me.  I think W8JI has posted that 240 volts would be no advantage for this amp. Probably would not hurt if you choose to change it over in my experience. I run mine on 120 although I have 240 available and run my AL 80A on it. It is a good little amp so enjoy it and good luck. I also still have the Harbach unbuilt soft start I bought for the amp as I found out it was not needed. I believe what Tom posted as he knows the amp.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: