Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hf linear kits/ circuit .  (Read 7919 times)
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

KE3WD - I totally agree with you. I do all my SMD work here in the house without issue. To be honest, I try to avoid builds which require large amounts of through hole components, as it takes way too long! I regularly solder 100TQFP and QFP-48 packages with excellent results using nothing more than a Hakko Soldering Iron, Flux, Solder Wick, and a fine tip. 

I think if SMD was not feared so much amongst most builders, it could really bring back home-brewing as a mainstay instead of the exception to the rule.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »

I take it that the SMD components don't include 256 and 512 BGAs, though? I'd hate to try homebrewing with them!
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »

You are correct, BGA's are a whole other animal. While they are SMD they require special tools to do them correctly.  I do have the equipment to do them here, but tend to stay away because of the complexity and expense. Used equipment for BGA's can be found on the auctions sites for very reasonable prices, but it takes some practice, and the risk of destroying some expensive components until you get the required practice!!!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

Always, always, in these forum threads where I mention doing SMT work, someone comes along and mentions BGAs. 

Realistically speaking, one is not going to encounter BGA soldering in a kit.  If there is one, it would likely have to be shipped prepopulated (or the poor kitmaker will be deluged with nonworking kits...).

Even if just homebrewing, the modern ham or electronics experimenter has never had it so easy.

Online PCB mfr's that offer free downloadable design software and very affordable small quantity or one-off pricing.  Today's home builder can get double-sided boards, multi-layered if need be, solder-masked and silkscreened. 

The SMT builder can also fit enough parts to do lots of circuits and they will all fit into a very small footprint in storage. 

And, the online pcb mfr's charge extra for every plated thru-hole.  Use of SMT wherever possible thus lowers the pcb cost even more.  This to the extent that I often plop down SMT pads for wire connect points rather than use connectors that aren't really needed for prototyping in a lot of cases, certainly not needed in the ham shack stuff.  Once its working and wired up, it likely will stay that way until I'm tired of it or replace it with another newer goodie. 

M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »

And there are a useful range of smt mount connectors available as well, so even for things you are going to keep around interconnection is not a big issue (See the samtec catalog for the sort of thing I have in mind).

Sometimes you need a BGA however simply because you need something like a large FPGA and the large ones only come in packages with lots of IO, irrespective of need for it, and that means BGA, still there are ways to get even these (And large QFNs and CSPs that can also be a pain) mounted, you just cannot do it yourself.

Anyone else out there in Hamburg for the CCC meeting?

73 Dan.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »

http://www.hobbypcb.com/pic-development-boards/amateur-radio/hardrock-50-hf-power-amp-kit.html

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »

Why dont you have a look into one of the older Yaesu or Sommerkap linears?
The price is usualy not to bad and parts are avalable.
You might be lucky to find a restoration project and rebuild it for a low price.
KC8OJU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my lic , from a Foundation , ( Australian ) to a Standard. currently I have a limit of 10Watts PEP.

With the up grade my limit will be 100Watts PEP, and I intend to upgrade from there to an open 400Watts/1000Watts(spec license).

I

Hey OM:

I'd go with a dual EL509 amp just for starters there are alot of parts still available at low cost compared to solid state, if you can find a cheap transformer to do 900VAC it's under $100AUD not including the cabinet you could breadboard it in a gutted microwave oven, $25AUD

73 OT
de n8zu
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: