Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS130S mic won't transmit  (Read 3610 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS130, and when I went to use it a few days ago I noticed that the mic was moving the meters (ALC and watt) but nobody could hear me. Then suddenly the meters went to zero. When I put it on CW it outputs 100w, but the mic won't modulate. I got another mic that I know works, and still nothing. The relay kicks on, but the mic won't move any of my meters, not the meter on the radio nor my external SWR or watt meters. I don't know what it is, and my Elmer said he'd take a look at it but he's on vacation for the next couple weeks, so I decided to post here and see if anybody has any pointers. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »

Forgive me, please, if I'm way off base or wrong here, but since there have been so many of late, must ask the question for clarification. 

You did speak or whistle into the mic when performing this test, right? 

SSB has to be modulated in order to show output power.   No carrier. 

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

Forgive me, please, if I'm way off base or wrong here, but since there have been so many of late, must ask the question for clarification. 

You did speak or whistle into the mic when performing this test, right? 

SSB has to be modulated in order to show output power.   No carrier. 

Yes, I did. I spoke into the mic, nothing. I do realize that you need to speak into the mic for it to have a carrier. As I noted, I was speaking into the mic when suddenly it stopped showing a carrier.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »

Good show. 

May be time for the Service Manual, Schematics and a bit of audio signal tracing. 

But, due to the age of the old girl, I wouldn't rule out a good clean/lube of all switches and controls with Deoxit first.  That often restores operation on older stuff sent into the shop here. 

Never spray Deoxit or any other cleaner/lube into the Power Switch, though.  That can result in switch contact failure because the power switch may arc internally at turnoff, burning up the good goo into something nasty and resistive.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »

It seems that the ganged wafer switch has a habit of failing from old age in this rig.  I had one gang of the switch fail on me on the 130 I have.  Maybe deoxit will work, but I had to send out the unit anyway to have it aligned, and the people I sent it to replaced the bad wafer switch for me.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

Another possibility is that the mechanical coupling on the bandswitch shaft, between the RF board and the filter unit, has come loose.  Happens all the time on these radios (and other shafted Kenwoods) and is easy for the owner to check and service.  Takes a metric allen wrench to tighten. 

Other stuff... not so easy.

73 and happy new year!
Tom
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

It seems that the ganged wafer switch has a habit of failing from old age in this rig.  I had one gang of the switch fail on me on the 130 I have.  Maybe deoxit will work, but I had to send out the unit anyway to have it aligned, and the people I sent it to replaced the bad wafer switch for me.

Where did you send it to? Kenwood USA told me to jump in the lake, that the unit was too old to fix.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

It seems that the ganged wafer switch has a habit of failing from old age in this rig.  I had one gang of the switch fail on me on the 130 I have.  Maybe deoxit will work, but I had to send out the unit anyway to have it aligned, and the people I sent it to replaced the bad wafer switch for me.

Where did you send it to? Kenwood USA told me to jump in the lake, that the unit was too old to fix.

The shop was B&B Technical Services, but the owner has passed away and the shop is out of business now.  Try looking in the review section here on this site, under "amateur radio equipment repair".  Look through the reviews and find a shop close to you to cut the shipping costs down.  There are quite a few that look like they do good work--and some do work on older Kenwood gear.  Good luck and 73!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:29:55 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »

Quote from: KJ6ZOL
Clif Holland at Avvid is a good Kenwood repair source.
http://www.avvid.com/

Yes, Bill Leahy, K0ZL(sk) was former owner/repair tech at B&B Technical Services with his wife.
Bill passed away (work accident) on February 3, 2009.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/millercoors-employee-dies-at-golden-plant
Bill was co-founder of Yahoo Groups for:
Amateur Repairs, Kenwood Hybrids, and Kenwood TS-440S.

BTW, 6 months later on August 3, 2009
OSHA fined MillerCoors for Bill's death and later April 9 injuries to 2 workers.
OSHA found an alleged willful violation in the company’s “failure to ensure the use of appropriate electrical protective equipment when employees were working on or near energized electrical parts,” according to the news release.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2009/08/03/daily18.html?page=all
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:25:37 PM by W9GB » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »

I sincerely doubt that anyone at Kenwood USA told you to "go jump in a lake..."

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »

I sincerely doubt that anyone at Kenwood USA told you to "go jump in a lake..."

No, I was being facetious. They basically said "sorry, that model no longer has parts available, we can't fix it". That's what they told me. To me, that's the equivalent of being told to stuff it. Said very very nicely, of course.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »

I work part time doing Service Technician work, mainly because that is how I earned my way to EE and because I still love the repair bench. 

But it really burns me the way people nowadays assume that Service Technicians are somehow all out to burn 'em or otherwise cheat them. 

I'm 62 years old, have worked for factory authorized service, full warranty centers, private subcontracting for same and also private "mom 'n pop" sole owner enterprise operations as well. 

Started while still in high school, at my uncle's Radio/TV Sales and Service.

In all this time I've yet to encounter a single technician or outfit that was out to cheat their customers. 

Think about it, how long could such a place manage to stay in business? 

And how long is Kenwood supposed to service one of their products? 

The Moss-Magnuson act of the late 70s is what defines that, BTW. 

The good news is that there are plenty of private enterprises and technicians still around and servicing the older rigs.  By specializing in them, they become the knowledge base, as well, often able to save you time and money, as well as being able to perform proven repairs and modifications that only will preserve the value of your older rig. 

"A kind word turneth away wrath..."

If the biblical doesn't float yer boat, "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar." 

My dear mother used to tell us that if we could not find anything nice to say, then say nothing at all. 

Yeah, as a pro technician, such hurts.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »

I work part time doing Service Technician work, mainly because that is how I earned my way to EE and because I still love the repair bench. 

But it really burns me the way people nowadays assume that Service Technicians are somehow all out to burn 'em or otherwise cheat them. 

I'm 62 years old, have worked for factory authorized service, full warranty centers, private subcontracting for same and also private "mom 'n pop" sole owner enterprise operations as well. 

Started while still in high school, at my uncle's Radio/TV Sales and Service.

In all this time I've yet to encounter a single technician or outfit that was out to cheat their customers. 

Think about it, how long could such a place manage to stay in business? 

And how long is Kenwood supposed to service one of their products? 

The Moss-Magnuson act of the late 70s is what defines that, BTW. 

The good news is that there are plenty of private enterprises and technicians still around and servicing the older rigs.  By specializing in them, they become the knowledge base, as well, often able to save you time and money, as well as being able to perform proven repairs and modifications that only will preserve the value of your older rig. 

"A kind word turneth away wrath..."

If the biblical doesn't float yer boat, "You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar." 

My dear mother used to tell us that if we could not find anything nice to say, then say nothing at all. 

Yeah, as a pro technician, such hurts.

That wasn't what I was inferring at all. I realize that Kenwood can choose or not choose to service any rig for any reason. I was a little flippant about it, but it wasn't my intention to offend you or anybody else, nor to suggest what you seem to think I was suggesting. If Kenwood won't service the rig, I'll get my Elmer to do it, or send it to somebody who can. I didn't intend to offend. Obviously, you have an ax to grind, but I really don't, I was being a little sarcastic, and I'm sorry it got you all bent out of shape.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

Since the expensive part of the radio still works (RF PA) it should be pretty academic to trace it through and find it.  You're pretty much bound to fixing it yourself or finding someone local that will, because the cost to ship it plus a hour bench time will cost you about what the radio is worth when it worked.  This is the hazard of using antique equipment - most any failure renders the unit BER unless you can fix it yourself.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »

...the cost to ship it plus a hour bench time will cost you about what the radio is worth when it worked.  This is the hazard of using antique equipment - most any failure renders the unit BER unless you can fix it yourself.

That depends on a few things.  If the radio is part of a matched set (yes, this one could have been) you've got to figure in the costs of the other units as well.  Another thing is that bench rates vary from around $40 to over $100 an hour depending on the overhead the shop owner has.  Some of the better work comes out of shops where the owner or technician has little or no overhead.

Maybe the value of the rig isn't monetary, either.  You cannot put a dollar and cents figure on everything.  Like I said before, shop around.  You may be pleasantly surprised.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: