Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS450s Proccesor adjustment  (Read 804 times)
KB9VXJ

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »

Hi All,
I am planning to put a Heil Mike with the hc6 element on the 450s. Mostly I would like natural audio, but when working DX, I would like a more narrow "DX" audio. Is there an adjustment possible to the proccesor so I can have both?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »

Simply, no.  That rig is pre-DSP so you cannot modify bandpass with radio.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »

Ditto.  Can't do that with the 450S.

I have an 850S (the 450S's "big brother") and you can't do it with that, either.

However, with a fairly inexpensive outboard audio EQ setup, you can.  Some of the Behringer stuff is pretty cheap (like <$100) and will do this job.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:00:46 AM »

Try a Heil with an HC-4 element.  They're pretty narrow.

Don, K2DC

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:15 AM »

Buy the GM 5 from Heil. You will have the wide and narrow audio you want from one mic.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »

See if the TS450 has a "Transmit Carrier Offset" adjustment that's accessible from the front panel (or through a menu, if it has menus). 

If it does, you can use it to shift the TX IF passband to higher audio frequencies, and filter out some of the bass of the HC-6 element.

The _right_ way to handle the problem is to put a mic preamp and equalizer between the mic and the rig.  That will work well, and cost some money.

The HC-6 element (if I remember right) has more bass than the HC-4, and less "presence" boost around 2 Khz.   So you'll need both "cut" and "boost".

.          Charles
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Small microphone mixers are readily available and low cost due to the home recording on the PC boom. 

Behringer is but one of the many manufacturers. 

They usually also feature at least Low, Mid and High EQ controls on the mic inputs, with up to +/- 12 or 15 dB of cut/boost available at each knob. 

Lots of hams are pressing these into service and using all sorts of mics with them, to include studio grade phantom powered jobbies as well as dynamics etc. 

Just be careful with the master output fader settings and not exceed the rather low mV level at a rig's Mic input.  or use a 10K pot as an adjustable attenuator between mixer output and mic input. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: