Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio  (Read 9552 times)
W1MSG

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »

This subject is something that is near and dear to me, I am talking about the folks that feel the need to embellish their Military career or fabricate a Military career. These are the folks that are stealing the Valor of those that chose to serve and did so in Harms Way, some of which paid the ultimate price by giving up their life. Yet on far too many occasions I hear a story on the air or in an e-mail that just doesnt sound right. If it doesnt sound right it most likely isnt. Its a bit easier for me to detect a military tale that may not be true due to my background, I just recently retired from the US Army, so I have a pretty good background about how things usually go.

Since getting more involved in Amateur Radio, I have heard numerous stories that just dont pass the smell test. Several come to mind right off, one being involved in a bunch of black op's with 32 and 1/2 kills etc etc, another stating he got his Bronze Star in the Mail after his discharge, that may be true after ordering it from E-Bay, or Vista Print, yet another claiming Navy Vietnam Combat Vet, but didnt join the Navy until 1973, didnt know making it through boot and an A School classified you as a Combat Vet, especially when you look at the troop levels in Vietnam after March of 1973. But if you havent guessed by now 2 have been verified as BS with a Freedom of Information Act request for their records, and the 3rd one has been sumitted.
It is all to easy to verify these claims by filling out a FOIA request and sending it in. I have filed a dozen or so in 2012 and so far the ones that have come back have proved the story teller to be less than truthful, to say the least.

Most of the story tellers feel safe behind a microphone, spinning these stories of heroics, but some even take it to the extreme of wearing insignia and such at the Fest's. I walk around a HAM fest and cant believe all the Navy SEAL's, Army Special Forces and Rangers that are into HAM Radio WOW .. I also didnt know that so many of them let go after leaving the service and have become fat loads.

Ok so your probably asking why I bother with this post, well I just want to bring this to everyones attention as its a trend that is getting more and more popular, especially with all the support the troops are getting now adays, just do a quick google search for Military Phoney or Imposter, its of epidemic proportions.

If you suspect someone is spinning a tale and your not very familiar with the Military just shoot me an e-mail, if I cant answer it I have alot of friends in other services that probably can, I will even file an FOIA request for you. If you find a QRZ profile that looks like a crock of crap shoot me a link, I am more than happy to validate someones claims.

Thanks and have a Great 2013 !!

I also have this posted over on QRZ as well.

73, Craig
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.  One of my cousins was in the navy--for six months or so, all of it stateside.  He fell while doing painting on a ship and was hurt badly enough to get a medical discharge.  He still has the gaul to claim that he is a Vietnam vet, and he didn't even get near Vietnam--or near any area of combat.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »

It will only work for them up and until that time they happen to be bragging in a bar fulla Seals...

Grin

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »

Craig,

have you contacted any of these guys to let them know that you know? You could start a webpage that lists their public information.

Dave
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »

Craig,

have you contacted any of these guys to let them know that you know? You could start a webpage that lists their public information.

Dave

I confront them as soon as I have proof, I had a few of them listed at http://pownetwork.org they had the largest phoney list on the web, but just recently took it down as it was getting to be too much to handle.
I still have one that clings to his claims on the air, and attempts to discredit me every chance he gets, but its useless, if anyone asks I just send them his FOIA records and then they know for sure ..

I may start a page for infamous phoney HAM's in the near future, so if your a phoney and reading this, be warned !!!

Craig

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »

You may be in for a heck of a job if you do that, Craig.   Grin
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

Very cool Craig.  I have run into a few of those guys over the years and find that kind of behavior despicable.

Vince
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »

There already are some webpages and blogs devoted to outing the winter soldiers amongst us.

http://www.blackfive.net/ Good reading on our fighting men and women there, plus keeps us abreast of the Stolen Valor crapola. 

http://www.stolenvalor.com/ is dedicated to a book plus info on the sole issue. 

http://www.reportstolenvalor.org/ Here's one place where you can report instances of Stolen Valor. 

http://www.militarytimes.com/projects/hallofstolenvalor/ This is the Hall of Shame...

There's plenty more if you websearch the term.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

Some questions to keep ready: 

"Army huh?  MOS?" 

(Keep on the lookout for them to ask to repeat the question.  Ain't nobody USAR that needs to hear that one twice...)

If the little miscreant is claiming to be USAF, typically it will be Pararescue or the likes, of course.

"AFSC?"

same as the above applies...

If they claim to be a Seal, down here where I live, I just go about and find a real Seal and introduce the two.  Heh.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »

Plenty of fake jocks never saw the internet coming.

Knew a guy who bragged of playing basketball at Boston College 40 years ago. Piece of cake to check that out now.  Some colleges now list all letter winners going back decades. Ouch!

Bill O'Reilly, the Fox "No Spin Guy," claimed to have had an illustrious jock career. Said he held some football record at Marist College in NY. Turns out Marist only had a club football team then and no national records were kept. Convenient!

O'Reilly also claimed to have played "semi-pro baseball" (whatever that means) around 1971. He must have been the team's only player. I can't find a thing about such a team ever existing.

Plenty of teachers used foreign diploma mill degrees to spice up their resumes. There are now several web sites listing diploma mills. It's hilarious to Google them and see those names turn up even on university teaching resumes.

Like I said, many never saw that coming.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »

My grandfather was a real POW, captured at Bataan, on the Death March, spent most of the war as a "guest" of the Japanese in the Philippines. Back in the old days, you didn't claim to be something you weren't. My dad was 4-F during Nam, and although he regrets weaseling out, he never lied about it. (Me? I was on Ritalin as a kid, so they wouldn't take me.) I don't know what's with these losers and their fake claims, especially in the net age where you can google it, but it burns me up. Nobody has any pride anymore.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »

Here is a link on how and where to file a Freedom of Information Act request for records. http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public.html

You need to get a little more info than whats available from a call sign look up and I use various person finding web sites. You will need a date of birth, this usually isn't too hard to get, if its a common name you may have to dig a bit deeper by finding out where they have lived and such.

I recently had someone in a class I was taking claiming to be a Retired Airborne Ranger, Well Rangers don't refer to themselves as Airborne Ranger as being Airborne is a requirement to serve in a Ranger BN, so I did some digging, the name was pretty common, and I knew where he lived in MA but I wasn't getting anything. There was a name in Texas that looked to be the right age and it was right outside of Ft Hood. Well wouldn't ya know it, he still had Texas tags on his pick up truck. I was also able to verify his date of birth during one of the exercises in the class by asking for it during a mock interview. I filed the FOIA back the end of August and again the first week of October but still haven't received anything back, which is not good. That usually means they cant find a record and what I will get is a letter stating that the person has no military records. If that's true it wont be good for him as he used that Military status to get a head for a job.

I never really noticed all these BS artists before and it seems they are multiplying like roaches ...

Craig
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 07:55:09 AM »

Well I have my first FOIA ready for 2013 and it will go off in tomorrows mail.. Happy New Year!  I was going to post up the HAM Radio phonies I come across in this thread, but since other threads are being deleted that address this sensitive subject I wont be, I really don't want to see this thread die out. I will consider posting claims and then what I find in the records without mention of names or call signs, this hopefully will bring some awareness to others in the hobby.   

Happy New Year to all !!!
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

Sort of a sidebar to this post, I took my DD214 the the county recorder, had it copied and recorded (only $1). I did that for my protection in case somehow the original was misplaced, stolen, burned, etc. Now, if I should ever need a copy, it's availabel (to me and anyone else with a dollar). Also have a copy in my safe deposit box.

Also I work at Wright Patterson AFB and am around some of the finest people I could ask for. Please let every vet know they are appreciated, they earned your respect. And to all of you who served anywhere, anytime, and any branch of service, Thank you very much for your service! happy New Year to all

73  Dale
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »

From a vietnam era vet..USAF 1966 to 1970

to me the real issue is the volunteer army which is an expansion of the military-industrial complex which President Eisenhower warned us

SO..bring back the draft and real citizen solders

The american people have forgotten the real horrors of war and contract it out to the 'volunteers'...they are just employees of the armed services...
just an employee with company benefits from DoD...
US funded Mercenaries  ... nothing more

gone are the real citizen solders

SO
get over it...
nothing was Stolen
you still have Your medals
and
remember

ALL GLORY IS FLEETING

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
    - Gen. George C. Patton

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: