Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Valor & Ham Radio  (Read 8834 times)
KG6HXO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

I am a member of the Civil Air Patrol (USAF-AUX) and we frequently see claims of former military service where either none existed, or backgrounds that have been massively embellished. We ask for a DD-214, but you can actually download a pre-filled form from the web with your made-up background. The number one false claim seems to be having been a SEAL ( Rarely do any claim to have served as a cook in Barstow). As a Private Investigator ( largely retired to Build Trackers for Byonics) these types of claims would cross my desk with regularity, and I found that contacting the various Special Forces Associations would generally be productive. Yes, there are trick questions to ask an applicant ( Swim Buddy name, Ranger Class number, etc) but the really good fakers will have created an adequate "legend" to pass casual scrutiny. I heard  a tale of a new CAP member showing up with his MOH worn around his neck......I hope they hung him with it if it was true. Law Enforcement is generally unexcited about pursuing these things unless the BS artist is using it for fund raising. In our Wing, (California)  we had a member claiming to be a "Green Beret Colonel" and when I spoke to the FBI, they told me they considered our Organization's commander to be "just as fake a Colonel as the Green Beret Colonel". Of course, once you are a CAP member, you can walk into a base Uniform store and buy almost anything you need to be a General, if you are so inclined, and the nice ladies working behind the counter will rarely question why you need stars. Self aggrandizing lies are not unique to military background questions, education, fake work histories, are all common, but the "Stolen Valor" issue is much more irritating than a common liar.

Allen AF6OF
VHS/Byonics
Major, USAF-AUX
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »

I am an old disabled viet nam era vet, I did 8 years in the Air Force, including 1 tour in nam ( Tuy Hoa 69-70) and 2 shorter stints in Korea (osan 68 and kunsan 74) I was in electronic countermeasures, on b52's,  f 4's, f100's, and some other  birds here and there( like at Edwards AFB) .

So sometimes when I see a GI in a restaurant I will have the waitress bring me their bill and pay it for them, including a tip, and tell her to tell them we appreciate what they do, but don't tell them who it was.   I think if some one had done that for me 40 years ago, I might be a bit different these days.

An another thing is that folks today don't realize how all encompassing viet nam was back the,  Remember how it was just after 9/11 happened,  viet nam is like that for us old farts. it was all day every day, for high school sweating out the draft, going down to get your draft card when you turned 18, and so on.  A young man back then was very aware of nam.

And a lot of us have disabilities that were from agent orange, and not directly from being shot  or such. diabetes, heart attacks, periphipal nureopthy and more. But most of us are really just glad to see the grass from the green side one more day.

So they can fool themselves in to thinking they are hero's,  but deep in their hearts they know, and Karma will bite them in the butt, we don't have to do anything.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »

As a vet myself of Army service '66-72 I have heard some real stories from both vets and non vets. Just goes with the territory I guess. I had one tell me just the other day that 90% of the vets from my era are alcoholics. I guess that's just his excuse for being a drunk all his life.  Wink
Never made a combat zone, but they had their chance at me and plenty of time. As many as I knew that hit Vietnam I will always wonder why I never got picked and put on orders.
My only scars are a bad back from a jeep rollover in '67 that was being driven by an E6 at the time and poor hearing from two duty outfits with artillery units.  Undecided
And I am much better off than many that served, that's for sure.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

Not so long ago DD214s were a public record in Rhode Island town halls, and easily copied and "tuned up".  No longer,   one needs to show ID to get a copy of YOURS. 
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »

Well I just got my records check back, and as suspected he was not in Vietnam, has unauthorized Ribbons on his QSL Card and is pretty much full of Crap. I sent him an e-mail confronting him on my findings and depending on the reply, I will be more than happy to out him here on this forum.

DD214's are only available from town halls if the Veteran brings it there, the military does not send them out to Town Halls or anyone for that matter. The best way to get verification is via the NPRC with a FOIA request. Even if someone provides me a copy of a DD214 its best to back it up with one from NPRC just because with todays technology they can be doctored up.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »

I don't really have a dog in this fight, other than I hate liars. I'm saddened that anyone needs to claim something they are not.

My dad was a Korean era vet- but he was stationed in Germany and did not see any action. I suppose because I'm proud of him, I can see little sense in anyone lying about their service. He was always honest that he was not much more than a radioman, and never saw action. Showing up for service was hard enough to be commendable, and I could not even imagine what combat duty was like.

Thank you to those who served BTW.

I guess I'm befuddled by the dishonesty.

K1DPM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »

Keep up the good work Craig! It's about time someone has taken the interest to expose these impostors. It would be interesting to develop a psychological profile of a person who would go to such great lengths to pose and someone they're not. Total looser would top the list I'm sure. It would be great to assemble each and every one of these lunatics and put them on the front line for a few days.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: