Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Look at New Flex 6000 Series Panadapter  (Read 5944 times)
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »

Was supposed to say "potential for compromising".

My point is the client is the small easy bit.  What enables functionality is the fpga code and the code on the embedded Linux box.

The client does nothing more than display the panadapter, direct audio, and allow for selection of functions.  They hope people replace the interface for custom uses... Cw, jt65, psk skimmers, scanners for hf and 2m...etc.

Doc
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

I was all excited about the new Flex 6500 until I digested the concept.  I have a Flex 1500 and a KX3 and like the idea that I can fool around with different SDR software and find the one(s) I like best.  Or when new ones hit the ground, give them a try.

What concerns me about the Flex 6500 is the embedded nature of the platform.  Nothing is known about the API.  There will be a thin client, but there is only one client, made by Flex.  So, it will be some time if ever that there will be options other than the Flex interface.  That seems to take some of the fun out of it for me.

I am just hoping Flex will not end up locking everyone into one and only one front end, and that users will have to wait and wait for features to be added, and will be at the mercy of Flex software engineers. 

As it stands now, with the many non-embedded systems, as long as you can get a sound card interface, many SDR software options open up. 

I am still interested in buying the new Flex, but will have to make sure I am not walking into a software cul-de-sac before I buy. The First Look Video does not offer details about the API. 

Rene WA6MJE
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

I agree.  I would like to see an extio type interface set up..that would allow the use of many different existing clients.

Doc
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

As much as loved my Flex 5000 and my first 1500 and just SDR radios in general I can't see ever investing that much money in any brand of radio. My XYL about had a fit over the price of a 5000. You can still buy a semi decent automobile for what a 6500 cost. I envy you guys that can put that kind of money into a radio. This isn't meant to be a criticism, just sort of an observation.
Michael, W4HIJ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »

As much as loved my Flex 5000 and my first 1500 and just SDR radios in general I can't see ever investing that much money in any brand of radio. My XYL about had a fit over the price of a 5000. You can still buy a semi decent automobile for what a 6500 cost. I envy you guys that can put that kind of money into a radio. This isn't meant to be a criticism, just sort of an observation.
Michael, W4HIJ

Roger That!

To me it's like owning a Lamborghini in a country surround by water whose max speed limit is 35mph!  I doubt most people who buy this radio do more with all the extra features other then show them off to other hams.  Honestly, unless your like me and just want to make things more complicated than they need to be, simple is better.  More interesting to me is if they make a major leap in sensitivity.  Don't care for slices.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: