Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unnecessary macro text:  (Read 2578 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »

Just a thought:  If you've been in a pileup for 30 minutes, and you finally get through and work the DX station (on PSK or RTTY or whatever), and he's in Cambodia or New Guinea or Lakshadweep, and you're in Texas or California or New Jersey, you do NOT need to send the macro text that has five lines about "QSL OK via e-qsl (preferred) or direct with SASE or ..."  The DX station is NOT sweating whether he'll be able to get one more QSL from Houston or Oakland, honestly.  And if the DX station has been managing 4 QSOs a minute until you got there, you also REALLY don't need to run the macro about your rig and your antenna and your grandchildren and what sort of gas mileage your RV gets.  Really.

Thanks.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »

Sounds like you had a bad day in the pile up!!... but did you work him?  that's all that matters!

Rick  wn2c

p.s.
you can't fix stupid.
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:03:19 AM »

It's even more annoying when you are the DX station.  I find the RTTY guys usually know how to operate in a pileup, it's the PSK31 ops that love that macro key.  Of course I find PSK31 a terrible mode to try to run a pileup.  It is very easy to copy no one.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »

I find the RTTY guys usually know how to operate in a pileup, it's the PSK31 ops that love that macro key.

WN2C, the DX wasn't rare, not even unusual, it was just the only DX around at the time. :-)  And being DX, there was a big pileup, of course.  :-)

Jeremy, I've never done much RTTY before the last few months, only occasionally ... but the last few months I've worked more RTTY than PSK.  You're right--working a few is faster and less complicated on RTTY.   I'm not much interested in chatting, most of the time, and RTTY gets me in and out a lot faster, it seems.  Even a "chat" is usually just name and locator, not much more.  And contesting and actual DXing are great for keeping the contacts brief.  I'm still an RTTY newbie, but I sure am enjoying it!
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

The best digital DX reply

599, TU 73 de VE3FMC

End of transmission, in the log.  Grin

I don't operate PSK but when I do RTTY that is all I send. As long as the DX station has my call and report that is all I care about. He doesn't need to know what rig etc I am using, nor does he care when he is working a pileup. Same goes for CW or SSB, short and sweet.

Move on to the next one and let the next guy work the DX station.

That is what I like about JT65. Yes it is slow, but the exchanges are all the same, except for the text you can type in. Then you are limited to 13 characters with that.

Right now I have HNY GL2013 73 as my final transmission on JT65

If the DX uses LOTW, EQSL or direct, or whatever you will either get your card or you won't. If you need the country then send the DX station a SASE.
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

You're singing my song.  Grin

Bob WP2XX (not very rare DX)
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »

With a DX station just send the important bits, forget all about weather and cups of coffee stuff, and do it quickly there are others waiting. You won't get a medal but you won't be PITA

Mel G0GQK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: