Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Video of My Antennas . . .  (Read 1497 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfVRNwQLSZQ

My very good friends Jack, K6JEB and Peter, W6DEI, helped me put a 40M doublet up between 60 - 70' a few weeks ago, and in the last fading shot - you can see what the 17M stack looks like.

The "lowly" doublet has turned out to be an amazing antenna - I have never had any antenna as high as 60 - 70' before - but this is where even a dipole does some amazing work. It really rocks between 40M - 10M. Just one simple wire. Aimed at where I need most of the rest of my entities - NE - SW.

I hope you get a kick out of the choice of music too - a reggae band doing a Pink Floyd song - too much . . .

73 and Happy New Year,

Rich
KY6R
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

Really enjoyed the video and love the QTH!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »

Really enjoyed the video and love the QTH!

If you look at the terrain map on my QRZ.COM page - you'd ask "Why the hell did you move there", but when you see the video - and know I'm a 30 minute BART ride from San Francisco - and know that I'm as much a cyclist as a ham radio operator - then you'd say - yeah, makes sense.

Anyway - my buddies and I put up antennas and then share beers like we did that day - Firestone Walker "Wookie Jack" . . . .

Life is great here in Orinda . . .

Rich
KY6R
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »

The "lowly" doublet has turned out to be an amazing antenna - I have never had any antenna as high as 60 - 70' before - but this is where even a dipole does some amazing work.

I worked 8BDXCC on a single 80m dipole up 70 feet.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »

The "lowly" doublet has turned out to be an amazing antenna - I have never had any antenna as high as 60 - 70' before - but this is where even a dipole does some amazing work.

I worked 8BDXCC on a single 80m dipole up 70 feet.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

Awesome achievement, John!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »

Rich, if I were in your situation I would have done the exact same thing.  Quality of life and shorter commute trumps everything else.  No point in having a great ham shack if you are never there (or too tired) to use it.

Nice video.  Agreed, I was able to work 230 countries with just wires (then got the hex beam, and it REALLY got interesting!)

Happy New Year
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

Nice video.
I too went to about 230 countries with a wire or a Butternut vertical and then got a hex beam.
Rich, reading your antenna posts and blogs has motivated me to download EZNEC and start playing.
So far I'm learnig the ropes, with help from Youtube videos of how to do stuff.

What is the HFTA about? I'd like to monkey around with that too if its useful.
Frank KG6N
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:00:03 AM »

WD4ELG: as passionate as I am about ham radio, it is about priority #4 in my life. I usually joke saying my QTH is perfect for cycling, but not so good for DX-ing. But it has forced me to learn and use HFTA and dig into antennas in ways that I could have taken for granted if I lived on top of a hill or in the flats

KD6KVL: HFTA comes with the ARRL Antenna Book and requires that you first install Microdem. I think it took me three tries to install (its a pretty manually intensive set of steps), but it is THE one software tool that, when combined with EZNec, gave me some insights that either alone cannot. The caveat is my QTH - if you live in the flats - you are lucky - you pretty much can get away with just using the FLAT terrain file that comes with HFTA and not have to install Microdem. If you live in a hilly area - then Microdem takes your local topographical terrain data and superimposes a basic EZNec antenna model (built into HFTA) so you can compare and contrast what one antenna will "look like" performance wise. For me it meant the difference between hearing and not hearing stations like 7O6T, and the closer you get to Honor Roll, the more critical it gets that you don't miss ANY ATNO's. HFTA literally got me out of a ditch here at this QTH, and led to weird antennas like this 17M 2 element stack. Of course - VOACAP also pointed me in this stack direction - because I analyzed everything I still need, and based on rumors of when I think they will activated, all roads led to 6 - 7 dBd on 17M for the next year or so. After that - my high band antenna will be the C3 at [Huh?] feet high.

By the way, Dean Straw, N6BV and maker of HFTA ran HFTA on two possible antenna sites on Heard Island which is going to drive where the antenna site will be. When VK0IR went there - the 8,000 foot mountain "Big Ben" was squarely in the way of the West Coast. I am working with the team to see how to improve on this for January 2014. I expect we will have some really good news for all locations - if plans hold out. HFTA is the driver of this!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:04:23 AM by KY6R » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »

Happy to hear that your new antenna works  really well!

High dipoles work great, as I found out in college--where we had 100 ft antenna supports near the club station!

I'm in the middle of a major antenna revision myself--I just put up a 40M dipole at 45ft aimed at Europe to finish up my 40M DXCC.  Picked up V5/DL3DXX last night--just made his last  log upload by a few minutes! Also put up a 2 el 6M Yagi--all done during Christmas holiday weekend!  But, the fun project, which should go up in the next week or two, is an 80m top loaded vertical with elevated radials.  I'll be hanging it off the maple tree in the middle of the yard.

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »

Rich, I am serious when I say this...you are helping to inspire me for balance.

My 2013 resolution (I don't normally make them) is to get more balance...in particular, more time for exercise (which I do not normally do).  At 48, I need more fitness (don't we all?)  But after losing my father this year at the (relatively young) age of 71, I want to do better.  I know that my choices make a difference in the short and long term, and I want to stack the odds in my favor.

I can eliminate needless time wasters like TV.  And I really need to get consistent sleep (hard to do when I am addicted to the low bands).  And not eat late at night.  And reduce the carbs.  And see if I can eliminate the german lager beers!

I know I already get enough ham time in. Smiley

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »

WD4ELG: I had knee surgery a couple years ago and the surgeon warned me that I have little cartilage left in my knees and that I might need double knee replacement surgery. He said "Lose the weight".

I have lost 30 pounds since last March on the Weight Watchers Point program, and will lose about 25 more. The weight and knee thing happens to run in the German side of my family - but is completely preventable / controllable.

Since losing that weight - I have no issues with my knees and my lower back pain is completely gone. I am getting my weight back down to where it was when I was addicted to my bike - even more than DX-ing. I may never need to have that knee surgery, and now know how dangerous it is to put on too much weight.

And when there is no DX on - I don't get bored. I exercise . . . .

ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »

http://goo.gl/maps/8aSEB

Rich, you have it all - tall trees for wire antennas, very handy proximity to SF, and even a big eagle watching over you Wink

If you look closely the streetview image, close to powerlines.

HNY and enjoy the heck out of your new antenna!

Aadu
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »

http://goo.gl/maps/8aSEB

Rich, you have it all - tall trees for wire antennas, very handy proximity to SF, and even a big eagle watching over you Wink

If you look closely the streetview image, close to powerlines.

HNY and enjoy the heck out of your new antenna!

Aadu

That's funny. We do have Eagles at the Lafayette Reservoir and many Red Tailed Hawks and some Ospreys too.

That street view is pretty old (I cut all those shrubs down) - but you can see my old 20M Moxon - up maybe 30', and know why my new antenna system is so much better than low antenna. Even the stack - cut for 17M works better on 20M.

Happy New Year!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: