Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions needed for Manitoba  (Read 3388 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »

I have all the states and Canadian provinces other than Manitoba.  Here in Minnesota I am too close for anything other than 40 meters, now that 10 is almost gone.  Unfortunately, the rare call I can hear is not in the General band, almost to the point where I wonder what is going on.  Most calls I see today on 40 are below 7.175.

Any tips for upcoming contests or other events when I might get the Canadians into the General band on 40?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:29:46 PM by W9KDX » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »

They'll operate in the U.S. General Class voice bands for Field Day and the November Sweepstakes (which unfortunately has passed for 2012).

Or if you don't mind a mixed-mode accomplishment, they should be easy to work on 40m CW, where I hear VE4s above 7025 every day (here in California).
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »

The RAC Canadian Winter Contest is this weekend!

Get on the air, quick!

.          Charles
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

80m/75m probably will give better coverage at this point, as 40m isn't open that
much of the day.

You can use the Australian IPS online prediction tools to see what bands will give
the best coverage at different times of day.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »

I have all the states and Canadian provinces other than Manitoba.  Here in Minnesota I am too close for anything other than 40 meters, now that 10 is almost gone.  Unfortunately, the rare call I can hear is not in the General band, almost to the point where I wonder what is going on.  Most calls I see today on 40 are below 7.175.

Any tips for upcoming contests or other events when I might get the Canadians into the General band on 40?

Thanks

Would you benefit from temporarily putting up a NVIS "cloud burner" antenna?

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KU1T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »

Upgrade ?

HNY, vy 73 de KU1T
_zjt
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »

Thanks for the ideas.  I figured there was something going on the weekend with the spots I was seeing, but they apparently don't want to compete in the General band.  I guess limiting themselves to only 15% of the US hams makes sense?Huh  Also Manitoba seems to be extremely rare on any band at any time.  I have DXwatch set for them and I have seen nothing until today.  Nunavut is more common.

I am suburban so anything over 40 meters is out, and I am already working on the Extra, but memorizing 700+ questions takes a while.

Ah well, sooner or later.

Sam
W9KDX
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:10:18 AM »

Thanks for the ideas.  I figured there was something going on the weekend with the spots I was seeing, but they apparently don't want to compete in the General band.  I guess limiting themselves to only 15% of the US hams makes sense?Huh  Also Manitoba seems to be extremely rare on any band at any time.  I have DXwatch set for them and I have seen nothing until today.  Nunavut is more common.

I am suburban so anything over 40 meters is out, and I am already working on the Extra, but memorizing 700+ questions takes a while.

Ah well, sooner or later.

You must remember that Canadian hams can operate phone anywhere on 40 meters. So during the RAC Contest a lot of them stay below 7.100 so they can work Canadian stations.

VA4GD, Grant checks in almost every morning on 3.755, the Ontars Net. He often checks in with me when I do my hour on Thursday 12:00 -13:00 UTC. Not sure if you can operate in that portion of the band.

To be honest with you, I have not worked a lot of VE4 stations over the years. But they are there so don't give up. Maybe you could email VA4GD and set up a quick sked so you can finish off Worked All Canada.

Rick VE3FMC
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 07:23:09 AM »

Lots easier than learning five equations.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »

Lots easier than learning five equations.

Sorry, the Extra exam is much, much, much more than just a few equations.  If it were that simple, we would have waaaaaaay more than 15% in the Extra class.  I am afraid you have forgotten how difficult this is for those of us with no background at all.

Sam
W9KDX
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »

If you have room for a 40m inverted vee, you have room for an 80m coil-loaded
inverted vee of the same length.

But if you are staying on 40m, it will really help to check the propagation forecasts
to see when the band is open to the population centers of Manitoba.  It isn't as often
as you might hope.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:26 AM »

If you have room for a 40m inverted vee, you have room for an 80m coil-loaded
inverted vee of the same length.

But if you are staying on 40m, it will really help to check the propagation forecasts
to see when the band is open to the population centers of Manitoba.  It isn't as often
as you might hope.

He is close enough to Manitoba to not have to worry about propagation. he could work Manitoba during most of the day. He just needs to get down on the CW portion of the bands, or go work the digital modes and he will come across a VE4 station.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:21 AM »

Manitoba is a large enough province that some of it should be within the realm of short skip... Unfortunately, as WB6BYU suggested, very few people may live in those sections. I see this as more a matter of patience and perseverance than a technical issue.

...although a really good contest weekend wouldn't hurt!

Never change a password on a Friday                
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

Quote from: VE3FMC

He is close enough to Manitoba to not have to worry about propagation...

This is not true, especially if he is limiting himself to 40m and higher frequencies.

From Minneapolis to Winnipeg is about 600km.  These are the population centers -
while most of Manitoba is further away, much of Minnesota is closer.  But this
gives an initial estimate, especially since I suspect that most of the VE4 population
will be near Winnipeg.

Using the Local Area Mobile Prediction (LAMP) report on the IPS site, we can
see the coverage distance for each band as a function of time of day.  It
suggests that, for current conditions, 40m is usable from 1500Z to 2400Z.
30m might open between 1700Z and 2200Z.  While 80m is open most of the
day as well, between 0700Z and 1300Z the critical frequency drops low enough
that only 160m will cover the path.

For shorter distances, 40m will be open for a shorter time, 30m won't open, and
160m will be required for more hours of the night when 80m won't work.  And this
also depends on the current conditions:  we went for several years here in Oregon
where we couldn't work the other side of the state (about 500km) on 40m except
on rare occasions, and even 80m was unusable during the night.  But with better
conditions, 40m might be open much of the night as well.

So, even for such short distances, the propagation makes a big difference in
what bands can be used to cover the path at different times of day.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

Quote from: VE3FMC

He is close enough to Manitoba to not have to worry about propagation...

This is not true, especially if he is limiting himself to 40m and higher frequencies.

From Minneapolis to Winnipeg is about 600km.  These are the population centers -
while most of Manitoba is further away, much of Minnesota is closer.  But this
gives an initial estimate, especially since I suspect that most of the VE4 population
will be near Winnipeg.

Using the Local Area Mobile Prediction (LAMP) report on the IPS site, we can
see the coverage distance for each band as a function of time of day.  It
suggests that, for current conditions, 40m is usable from 1500Z to 2400Z.
30m might open between 1700Z and 2200Z.  While 80m is open most of the
day as well, between 0700Z and 1300Z the critical frequency drops low enough
that only 160m will cover the path.

For shorter distances, 40m will be open for a shorter time, 30m won't open, and
160m will be required for more hours of the night when 80m won't work.  And this
also depends on the current conditions:  we went for several years here in Oregon
where we couldn't work the other side of the state (about 500km) on 40m except
on rare occasions, and even 80m was unusable during the night.  But with better
conditions, 40m might be open much of the night as well.

So, even for such short distances, the propagation makes a big difference in
what bands can be used to cover the path at different times of day.

Correct.

I think his main problem is the lack of being able to utilize all of the band space especially on 40 meters. Not too many VE's hang around up in the General portion of 40.

He needs to get on CW and go seek out a VE4 station. I suggested he contact Grant VA4GD and see if he could set up a sked with him. Grant is active, he checks in with me when I run a phone net on Thursday morning at 7 AM EST on 3.755. He is a regular check in on that net.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: