Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supplies?? Looking for a budget minded choice. Any Ideas??  (Read 4585 times)
N3QOU

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

I am in the process of looking for a power supply..And I find a ton of choices I need some guidance
on what stay away from,and what do I really need??
Only for one HF rig?? Any ideas.. Can I power it on the cheap..
Thank you !!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »

Astron is a pretty reliable choice. Make sure you pick one with a current rating that can handle the requirements of your radio.

There are some cheap supplies out there that don't have any over-voltage protection. If one of those fails it can take out your HF rig with it. Stay away from anything that doesn't have over-voltage protection.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »

What are you powering? a 100 watt radio or a Qrp radio? Depends on how many amps you need.  Need more info

Rick  wn2c
N3QOU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

Sorry it would help to know what it's going to be working with.
100 watt rig, Kenwood.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »

I've had great luck with the small Jetstream JTPS 31MB switching power supply.  Relatively inexpensive ($79) and quite small, and works well with a 100 Watt HF or 2m 440 rig with no noise issues.  Check out the eham reviews.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »

Hmm, there "is" a trick but you would need to be really operating on a shoe-string budget to consider this.

Use a smaller supply and use it to float charge a battery. Run the radio off of the battery/supply combination. You can size the supply to be large enough to handle the receiver current plus whatever you drain off in transmitter duty cycle and the minor losses of float charging the battery.

I used that trick to run a 100 watt HF rig off of a 12 volt, 5 A/Hr supply for a few months.

You do need to be careful about the voltage applied to the battery so you do not cook it from overcharging and you will want to install some sort of diode to prevent the battery from backfeeding into the supply. You will need two fuses, one to protect the supply (at slightly less than the max current rating of the supply) and another to protect your radio (usually the fuse rating specified for the rig).

To get the voltage drop from the charger to the battery you can use diodes. Remembering that a standard rectifier diode will drop 0.7VDC (watch your current rating with the diode(s) too). If you need more drop use multiple diodes in series, if it is really marginal then consider a Schottky diode (less voltage drop, read the spec sheet on the particular diode you use).

If you size the battery too small you will find yourself running the thing dead if your operating demands are higher (the unexpected urge to rag chew or do digital modes). That can in turn pop the power supply fuse (maybe a circuit breaker would be a better idea unless you own stock in a fuse company, hmmm). I was using a surplus PowerSonic 12 volt battery that could deliver 50A/Hr.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:24:23 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

For a "budget" PS for a 100w HF rig, I highly
recommend the SAMLEX 1223.
It's manual says it is rated for 23A @ 13.8vdc
continuous and 25A peak.

Though not currently my main 13.8vdc suppy,
I have used mine for over 12 years with no
problems, either at 120 or 220vac input.

GL ES 73, Ken AD6KA
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:14:58 AM »

I recomend to get a linear powersupply with the capacaty of at least 25A.
If you use a linear power supply there will be no problems with the kind of noise you can get of switching power supplies.
All switching power supplies will make some noise, also the good ones like SAMLEX.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:26:56 AM »

I also have a Kenwood and use this:  http://www.radio-mart.net/QJE-PS-30SW1-Power-Supply.html
It's $74.99.  20amp continuous, 30amp surge.  Can barely hear the fan.  Has a Noise Off-Set Control but I haven't had to use it.
It's a nice unit IMHO.

Eric

K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »

Don't scrimp pennies on your power supply!

Get a quality one because one power supply hiccup can cause a lot of grief with every thing in your station that's hooked to it and that will cost a heck of a lot more than you could ever save by getting a cheapie!
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »

I might get blasted for this one, but I have been using a Mega-Watt 30 amp continuous switching supply for over a year now with no problems. I use it on my Yaesu FT-450AT. It produced no switching noise or hash. The voltage out varies less the a millivolt from no load to full load. This is a no frills power supply, I paid $50.00 or so from a fellow on EBay. I think he still sells them. Check the E-Ham reviews on this unit.

I also just purchased a generic supply for $28.00 from Amazon. It looks exactly like the Mega-Watt, but has no name on it. I am in the process of testing it fully and doing a burn-in before using it on my Yaesu FT-4700RH if it passes. So far it is behaving exactly like the Mega-Watt. It is also a 30 amp continuous supply.

Whatever supply you buy even an expensive one I would still throughly test it before connecting it to my equipment. I would test it for voltage and current regulation and over voltage protection under full load and no load. I also would check it for AC ripple voltage under the full and no load operation.

The Amazon supply comes with no directions or power cords. The Mega-Watt With an instruction sheet and a power cord with a switch for testing. The hook up is obvious as the terminals are well marked.

I do not know what these supplies were built for but they look like a supply used in some industrial equipment. The mounting holes are threaded for mounting in some type of chassis.

This is just for information for those that want an inexpensive power supply, but testing operation and burn-in is highly recommended before use

73s

K2OWK

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

I bought a Kenwood KPS-15 SMPS (23 amps) . No hash, It's been in service over two years with no problems.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

Whatever supply you buy even an expensive one I would still throughly test it before connecting it to my equipment. I would test it for voltage and current regulation and over voltage protection under full load and no load. I also would check it for AC ripple voltage under the full and no load operation.

The average new ham has neither the test equipment nor the experience to run power supply tests like that. That's why I recommend a known brand like Astron rather than going "cheap" on a power supply that you are going to connect to your expensive radio.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »

All the power supply tests I recommend can be done with a multimeter and a few automotive headlamps for a load.

73s

K2OWK
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

I'll second the suggestion of the Samlex 1223.  Mine has worked fine, no hash, on several rigs over 10 years.

.         Charles
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: