Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you are bored since there is no good dx right now...  (Read 2249 times)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »

Check out W9EVT on QRZ.

WOW, what a collection.
I didn't know the best forum to post in, so
I gave it a shot here.

I especially enjoyed the old broadcast transmitter.
I have worked on several of those in days gone bye.

Happy New Year, it is getting close.

bill   73
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

Yes, it certainly is a quiet time for DXpeditions, still there is some great DX to be had. RI1ANF in So Shetland has been quite active with great signals. SV2ASP/A has been active in the past few days, as has EP3SMH, however they QRT before the bands open to the West Coast. I should be on vacation with my rig on the East Coast and I would bag them!

HNY to all!
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

After looking at W9evt's collection, all I can say is too much of a good thing is

WONDERFULL!!!!!!!

Allen   KA5N
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »

I forwarded the link to a junk radio collector friend of mine.  He'll probably spend hours studying each photo Grin

As for DX'ing no I wasn't able to copy either SV2ASP/A nor EP3SMH here in Colorado Cry  However I did catch some goodies in the past few days...Ghana and Gibraltar on 15m, Israel on 40m, Philippines and Greece on 17m, South Pole and St. Helena on 20m.

Jonathan W6GX
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

This is an amazing collection of antique radios.  His QRZ look up number is also amazing.  The only thing I didn't see was a map of how to get around in the shack. Smiley
Randy
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »

Nice antenna setup as well!  The monobanders look very nice.  The 2 meter beam is set up for the wrong polarization, though.

Went to Washington Island on my honeymoon in 1999.  Don't remember seeing his antennas then, wonder if he moved there afterwards.

John AF5CC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »

RI1ANF was on 10 Meter CW this morning with a 599 signal. 

I heard H40FN on 20 CW at 3 or 4 AM the other day but he was working all Europeans and then went QRT after a short time.  He is there to either the 6th or 7th but it is going to take a lot of luck as he is on holiday and there is no real pattern to his sked.

Chris/NU1O

W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »

cris, h40fn is real good copy here anytime. i guess i should post him on the dx summit? at least now, if you can't here him, you can't work him. and yes it holiday style. me i am retired style, when the mood is right.
73's gd dx
jim w4rs  du3/w4rs
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »

80 and 160 have some interesting prop right now...trying to work V5 and D3 DXpeditions on 160 is a real challenge.  Plus long path on 40/80/160 is always fun...worked XU1A and DU1IST long path over the past two weeks.

Another web page with some great reading on DX is W4ZV

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/images/W4ZV.htm

Check out the link at the bottom regarding his long path QSO's on the low bands.  AWESOME reading!

Jim W4RS, I envy you...someday I want to be holiday style!  You should be able to get some good prop to US, the DU prefix usually adds 2 or 3 S units!
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »

Mere mortals like ourselves need to save the photos of his shack and equipment. When our wives tell us "You have too much junk" you can show her those photos, that should make her back off.  Grin

In the 4th photo taken outside of the towers. Does that tower in the back ground look like it has a little lean to the right? Or am I seeing things?

Either way, all I can say is impressive.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

Mere mortals like ourselves need to save the photos of his shack and equipment. When our wives tell us "You have too much junk" you can show her those photos, that should make her back off.  Grin

My Wife would just say "Oh so that's were your planning to go with this Ham radio Stuff!!"

I Don't think it would help at all :-)
KD2DAS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »

Such an amazing collection, But I honestly can't imagine having that many radios or operating them!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »

I came across that site over a year ago. I don't recall whether I worked him or somebody else suggested I look at the photo. He has about a quarter million lookups and I have worked some very active DX stations with far fewer lookups. I would guess somebody emailed me the site when I saw it the first time.

As impressive as the radio collection is, the length of the boom on that antenna is about the size of his house. I would guess it is about 45 feet long.

I wonder if he regularly dusts each of those rigs or if he has hired help.  I'm guessing it is the later.  Wink

Chris/NU1O

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

Such an amazing collection, But I honestly can't imagine having that many radios or operating them!

IF he is active, and that is a big assumption,
I suspect he has 1-2-3 favorites and the rest are for "show"

I could use an amp and a high power tuner out of his collection !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: