Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tuning" a horizontal quad loop? AIM4170 scans provided.  (Read 8554 times)
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

Great, I'll print that off for future reference. How much power will a RG58 balun handle on that size core, out of interest? When do you need to move to RG400 or bigger? I assume you need a bigger diameter core, too? Any good UK sources for toroids? The new 1 to 1 is useless on 20 meters, neither the rig's internal ATU, or with it turned off, my old and trusty Yaesu FC-902 tuner, will achieve a safe SWR. Your web site shows why. My home made 4 to 1 "thing" works fine at achieving a perfect SWR on 20 meters though. Thanks, slowly learning.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

The coax rating is exactly what it would be outside of the balun application. So for RG58: on 160m about 1.4kW average power, and on 10m about 360W average power.

The core dissipation is a complex calculation and is very dependent on the particular application. Using your 160m loop parameters the single FT240 size core would be good for 500W average.

I buy my #31 cores from Amtools.

Steve G3TXQ
2E0ILY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

OK, will stay with Amtools. Is there any advantage in using my YaesuFC-902 matching unit over the semi auto internal tuner in the TS-590? I don't mind the manual tuning if I am not band hopping, in fact I quite like to turn the knobs, rather than trust the digital wizardry. I believe I am actually generally seeing more power output via the external tuner than the internal, not that a watt or ten matter really.

Have a great New Year's eve celebration, if that's your thing. Really grateful for all the info tonight, thanks again everyone.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: