Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Vertical Antennas (10m & 2m/70cm) but only 1 mast  (Read 1150 times)
KD5YZQ

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

I was going to mount a 10m vertical (Anton A-99) on my  single story house using a gable mount and a 10ft steel mast.  Then I started thinking that I'd also like to have a 2m/70cm antenna (like a Jetstream JTB2).  So now I don't know what to to.  Would it be better put the VHF/UHF antenna at the top of the mast and find some other means to mount the 10M antenna to the house?  OR what about trying to mount both on some sort of crossarm at the top of the 10ft (or maybe just a 5ft) mast?  Not sure about RF interaction in that case or wind load though.  How would you suggest doing it please?

Thanks & have a HAPPY HEW YEAR!

Mike/KD5YZQ
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »

Mike,

You should be able to mount both using a crossarm or "T" configuration with little electrical issue. Consider using threaded pipe. Then the mounting becomes a simple mechanical construction job. Lowes or Home Depot's plumbing departments will yield all kinds of ideas for alternatives.

I currently am using black plumbing pipe through the roof of my house to support a Force 12 C3SS beam. It works wonderfully. In the past I had a Rohn 25 tower with a boatload of VHF, UHF and a ten meter vertical hung all over it. A friend welded some aluminum pipe into L-shaped brackets for me and I attached them with simple u-bolts. Unconventional? Sure, but inexpensive and worked fine.

One word of caution: make sure the gable is actually tied into to something solid. Too many newer homes are built using shortcuts that could impact your installation, if applicable.

Jack
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:00:11 PM by WA2OLZ » Logged
KD5YZQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »

I like that idea and hadn't thought of that one.  THANKS very much Jack.  73
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: